Letter: Bernie Sanders and Eddie Smith are 'progressive' choices this primary

"Both are strong leaders, intelligent and compassionate men, dedicated public servants, and feminists."

As a feminist and a progressive, my choices for the Democratic Primary on March 15 are clear. With climate change and the right to clean air and water being the defining issues of our time, I must vote for the candidates who prioritize these issues and the role of corporate greed in causing these crises. I am voting for Eddie Smith for State House District 94 and Bernie Sanders for president. Both are strong leaders, intelligent and compassionate men, dedicated public servants, and feminists. Eddie and Bernie both stand for the rights of workers, women, and the earth and support an end to the growing wealth disparities that are crippling our region and our country.

Students, make sure you have an eligible ID to vote a regular ballot and that you know where your current precinct polling location is. Call the Board of elections, 740-592-3201, with any questions. You can vote early at the B of E on South Court next to the county courthouse. Their website (electionsonthe.net/oh/athens/) lists extended hours through the weekend and their student page dorm polling locations. If you are registered to vote in Ohio, you can vote in the primary. Please do!

Heather Cantino is a resident of Athens.