A mock dorm room in Adams Hall shows the model for the residence halls newly constructed. 

Five tips for success in Ohio University's room selection lottery

The selection process lasts from March 14 to 18.

March has arrived, and for many Ohio University underclassmen that means it’s time to think about OU’s housing lottery and figure out somewhere to live, other than a Court Street stoop, next year.

The selection process lasts from March 14 to 18 and, sorry to break it to you, not everyone always can live in the dorm they want.

Here are five steps to finding the best room with the best roommate (if you want one).

Know your pick date and time

Do you wanna be late to the game? Make sure you log into your MyHousing page on OU’s website to know which day and time you’re able to choose your room. If you haven’t done that yet you should probably check your Catmail and Blackboard page, too.

Choose a good roommate(s)

Just because your drummer friend is super cool doesn’t mean that waking up at 3 a.m. with cymbals crashing in your ears is too. In other words, your best friend doesn’t always equal the best roommate.

When finding someone to room with next year, look for someone you want to spend time with, but also someone who will respect your space, take out the trash and isn’t smelly. If you can’t find that special someone before your time to pick you room, don’t worry. Going for a random roommate or a single can be the best choice for some Bobcats.

“Sometimes going into a room completely random produces the best outcomes,” Jneanne Hacker, housing and residence life director for business operations and conference services, said. “Be open about who you would like to live with.”

Find a good room

Now you have to find your new home sweet home. It’s best to see the spaces in person, but if that’s not an option, check out residence hall information on OU’s website. Make sure you look at the floor plans, as well as building amenities such as air-conditioning and laundry machines. Unfortunately not everyone can have their first choice, so don’t forget to have some back up choices in mind.

Hacker added that students shouldn't put too much emphasis on a specific hall.

“Each and every hall offers something very unique to the overall student experience,” she said.

Keep an eye on the selection process

There is a good chance that the perfect room for you is also the perfect room for someone else. So if your pick time is March 18 at 4 p.m., your first choice will probably be taken.

That’s why it’s important to keep your eye on what rooms have been selected so far, even before it’s your time to pick. You don’t want to be rushed into a decision, so keep your back-ups in mind.

Don't give up hope

Even if you have followed those steps, you may still be stuck in your last choice room in a Back South dorm. But before you start dreading the 20 minute walk to Court Street, don’t give up hope.

Hacker explained that students who wish to live in fraternity or sorority houses as second-year students won’t be approved until mid May at the earliest. She added that those students, and other students who withdraw, open up spaces for others to move in.

If room selection still doesn’t work out for you, be optimistic. You may end up loving that random roommate or long walks to class that make up for the days you can’t make it to Ping.

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu