Sarah Mikac

Ed. Talks: Ohio’s current sex ed laws need improvement

Students For Education Form believes Ohio needs to institute a more standard and contemporary course for sex ed that is used throughout the state.

Whether you’re walking down the street, scrolling through social media or reading a magazine, there is an astonishing amount of sexually suggestive imagery hidden throughout advertisements and television plots, as well as a constant encouragement for sexual intimacy. Most high school to college-aged students have experienced the awkward and “hilarious” experience of sex ed.

Sweaty, prepubescent girls and boys gather in a classroom learning that a stork doesn’t actually deliver babies to doorsteps and that their mom didn’t get pregnant from kissing their dad. They are finally exposed to the “reality” of sex: its dangers, the precautions one can take and the process by which it takes place. However, not everyone learns about sex through the same process or by the same guidelines.

According to The Columbus Dispatch, Ohio allows its schools to determine how students learn sex education individually, adapting the course to the distinctive needs of its own district. This means each school and the content taught in its sex ed classes differ, creating an inconsistency throughout the entire state’s education on the matter.

Students For Education Reform believes that it is important for schools to have an academic standard on topics like sexual education, and that information that might be more relevant in one district than another, be included across the board. We also believe that a student’s school education should not be altered based on gender, race, ZIP code or income, the same is to be said in regards to sex ed and sexual identity.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="56061778-e556-11e5-a42e-3f7eaf062113"}}

As of now, there are few comprehensive guidelines for sexual education in Ohio schools, but the pending Senate Bill 101 offers a potential step forward. Existing law mandates that each school district stress abstinence outside of marriage, but Senate Bill 101, while still working within an abstinence based framework, would add the condition that material on contraceptive methods be included. Additionally, mandatory HIV/AIDS prevention education would be accurately provided, preventing the usage of isolated statistics to frighten students.

The bill also includes an optional “comprehensive sexual health education program” (school districts could choose whether or not to participate) with several promising components. Among them, one component being that all information taught in sex ed courses be medically and scientifically accurate. It also mandates that materials prove “appropriate for use with all students, regardless of their gender, race, ethnic and cultural background, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity,” and that all instruction (including that by guest instructors) be free of religious doctrine or promotion.

Though unfortunate that districts would have the chance to opt out, this program would ensure that all students, regardless of personal experience, receive proper sex education uninhibited by the subjective moral codes of educators.

SFER recognizes the importance of sex education and believes it should be treated the same as a social studies or an English class: taught equally, expertly and accurately to all students. Join us to learn more about our efforts in ensuring an equal and unbiased education throughout America at our meeting this Thursday, March 24 in Baker 237.

Aaron Long, a member of Students For Education Reform and a freshman studying communication studies and journalism, contributed to this column.

Sarah Mikac is a sophomore studying English. Want to get involved with Students For Education Reform? Email her at sm120113@ohio.edu.