The escaped convict John Modie, 58, is serving 18 years to life for murder, robbery and escape.

Convicted murderer who escaped from Nelsonville correctional facility not believed to be a threat to OU, police say

The Athens County Sheriff's Office received a report that John Modie escaped some time after 4 p.m. Sunday, according to a sheriff's office news release.

A convicted murderer escaped from the Hocking Correctional Facility in Nelsonville on Sunday.

Modie, a 58-year-old white man, is serving 18 years to life for murder, robbery and escape. He has gray hair and a gray mustache and was last seen wearing a blue hoodie, gray sweatshirt and blue pants.

The Ohio University Police Department is monitoring the escape and doesn’t believe it’s a threat to OU as of Monday morning, according to an OUPD Facebook post.

All Hocking College campuses are closed Monday due to the escape, according to a Hocking College news release.

The Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction is working with local law enforcement agencies and the Ohio State Highway Patrol, according to a Facebook post from the department. The escapee is “considered dangerous.”

The escape was discovered during the 11 p.m. count of prisoners at the correctional facility Sunday.

Modie was committed to the department from Cuyahoga County, but has some family ties to Washington County, according to the Facebook post.

To report suspicious behavior, call the Athens post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol at 740-593-6611.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu