Spencer Sapp, a left-handed senior pitcher in 2015, warms up on the mound against Eastern Kentucky on April 21, 2015. 

Baseball: Ohio stumbling into matchup against Ohio State

For the first time since 1993, Ohio State will pay a visit to Ohio at Bob Wren Stadium.

On any given day, Ohio State's colors and gear are a common sight on Athens' campus.

In some ways, the scarlet and gray are just as popular as the green and white. Some Ohio students are unwavering in their support to the Buckeyes, while others dedicate their support solely to the Bobcats.

So, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see a large crowd on hand as Ohio (10-13, 1-2 Mid-American Conference) hosts Ohio State (14-7-1, 2-1 Big 10) on Tuesday night at Bob Wren Stadium.

As Ohio prepares to host Ohio State for the first time in more than 20 years, it isn't exactly smiling from ear-to-ear.

When Ohio coach Rob Smith walked off the field on Sunday after his team's 3-1 loss to Northern Illinois, he used a single word to describe his team’s performance that he’s used too many times before this season.

“Disappointing,” Smith said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="67df0476-f502-11e5-99ff-17a198e52505"}}

An apt word choice, as Ohio has certainly yet to meet its expectations this season. The defending MAC Champions have a losing record and are coming off a series where they were dominated by one of the worst pitching staffs in college baseball in Northern Illinois.

It’s offense sputtering, Ohio had few bright spots this weekend at the plate. One of those bright spots was Cody Gaertner, who extended his hit streak to 20 games, the longest in program Ohio Bobcats history.

Gaertner said he was unaware of his hit streak until a few days ago and was completely unaware that his streak is the longest in program history.

Smith commended Gaertner on his achievement, but noted it wasn’t exactly what Ohio was looking for this previous weekend.

“I’m happy for him,” he said. “It’s a nice achievement. But, I’m sure he would have traded all 20 of those games for a series win this weekend.”

Despite the slow start to conference play, Ohio played well against its only Big 10 Conference opponent this season, Purdue, as it took two of three from the Boilermakers over a week ago.

Before that series, Ohio said it would treat Purdue just like any other opponent. Against Ohio State, it will approach it the same way.

“We’re excited about it,” pitcher Conner Sitz said. “But we’re going to treat it like any other game. It doesn’t matter who we’re playing.”

Ohio lost to Ohio State in a thriller last year in Columbus, where a three-run walkoff home run in the 10th inning ultimately doomed the Bobcats and they lost 7-4.

Though Smith is positive his team will be excited enough to face Ohio State, he isn’t sure his team is prepared after a demoralizing defeat this past weekend.

“I’m sure are guys enjoy playing in it,” he said. “They’re a quality team, a Big 10 team. We’ll be excited to play, but the question is: Will we be ready to play?”

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu