Ohio right-handed pitcher Tom Colletti pitches during the Ohio vs. Bowling Green game April 10 at Bob Wren Stadium. Ohio lost 4-2. 

Baseball: Grading Ohio's performance as they begin MAC play

As Ohio (9-11) begins conference play on Friday, The Post reporter Ethan Felderstein breaks down its performance. 

The Mid-American Conference defending champions haven’t exactly blazed through their non-conference portion of their schedule to start the season.

Ohio (9-11) has had pretty much the same problems plague it this season that took place last season. As the Bobcats kick off their conference schedule this weekend, let’s take a look at how the team has fared so far:

Offense: Where Ohio doesn’t lack whatsoever is at the plate. The Bobcats’ .304 batting average ranks first in the MAC and 43rd in the nation, ahead of perennial contenders Kentucky and North Carolina State.

Their top two contributors have been unexpected, as freshman Rudy Rott and and junior Tyler Finkler — who was a backup last year — are leading the Bobcats’ offense with a combined .359 batting average between the two of them.

GRADE: A

Defense: Ohio’s fielding percentage sits near the middle of the MAC, but sometimes numbers don’t tell the whole story.

The Bobcats haven’t looked completely sharp with the glove. Against Northern Kentucky, a dropped ball in centerfield by Spencer Ibarra cost them the game. Ohio’s .967 fielding percentage puts it in the middle of the pack in the MAC and 167th in the NCAA.

The Bobcats have 26 errors on the year, with third baseman John Adryan having six to lead the team.

GRADE: C-

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c7f59798-f139-11e5-9d1c-27d1bc38d4cf"}}

Pitching: Ohio’s pitching performances have been nearly identical to that of last season’s. Last season’s ERA was 4.12 with this season being 4.69 so far. The ERA is good for third-best in the MAC, but the conference is historically poor in talented pitchers.

Conner Sitz has been Ohio’s best starter this season, with a 3.43 ERA and a 2-1 record. He’s held opposing batters to a .113 batting average. Sitz was crucial to last year’s postseason push for Ohio, as he pitched a no-hitter in the MAC Tournament.

GRADE: C+

Overall: Ohio’s formula to success isn’t a secret. It will score a lot of runs, but it will let up a lot of runs as well. In the MAC, that’s usually good enough to win games, but it hasn’t been good enough against non-conference opponents.

The Bobcats will have to put their formula to the test this weekend if they’re going to try and repeat as MAC champions.

GRADE: B-

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu