Ohio freshman guard, Dominique Doseck, dribbles the ball past Wilmington sophomore guard Meranda Wilson. Ohio beat Toledo this weekend 77-57.

Women’s Basketball: Ohio steamrolls Toledo with 3-pointers, wins 77-57

Ohio defeated Toledo to get its 19th win of the season Saturday.

Kiyanna Black let the ball fly from beyond the 3-point line Saturday afternoon at Toledo and never looked back.

Black made 10 3-pointers, tying the Mid-American Conference and program record for 3-pointers in a game. The senior’s 38 points helped Ohio (19-4, 11-1 MAC) defeat Toledo (13-10, 8-4 MAC) 77-57.

Although Black endlessly shot and made threes, the rest of the team seemed to have the "hot hand" from beyond the 3-point line, too. The Bobcats shot 37 percent from deep, making a total of 15 3-pointers.

Black came out firing, as her first points came from a deep three to start the game. Black would continue to shoot many threes, but still made them at a clip of 50 percent.

With the game looking like it was the "Kiyanna Black show," other Ohio players such as Yamonie Jenkins and Lexie Baldwin had solid games. The two scored 14 points and 16 points, respectively.

Jenkins played Saturday, despite being held out of practice drills last week after suffering a leg injury against Kent State.  

Regardless of injuries affecting the Bobcats late in their schedule, the team was relentless on the offensive end. Ohio was not only lethal from beyond the arc against Toledo, but was also solid in its half-court offense, effectively using backdoor cuts.

Ohio scored 19 points off turnovers and had 13 points off second-chances.

Though the Bobcats executed well on the offensive end, their defense held up also. The Bobcats came into Saturday’s game allowing 59 points per game.

The Bobcats are on a two-game winning streak and have won 16 of their previous 18 games. As the MAC Tournament looms, Ohio will play teams such as Miami (twice), Akron, Kent State, Buffalo and Bowling Green to end the season.

The Bobcats' success has relied on three pointers the entire season, as they shoot 30 threes per game, making about 10, shooting a percentage of 30 percent.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="506fbfc6-d075-11e5-bba9-8fe09296db02"}}

The Bobcats may deserve an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament, but they won’t make it past the first round if they aren’t successful from beyond the arc.

But Ohio has a high chance of being successful — even as the MAC tournament and NCAA tournament draw near — if it continues to shoot from beyond the arc.

@Cameronfields_

cf710614@ohio.edu