Senior guard Kiyanna Black makes her way to hoop during a game against the Miami University RedHawks at The Convo on Feb. 17. 

Women's Basketball Notebook: Ohio starts three-game homestand Wednesday night

The Bobcats have a two-game lead in the MAC.

If Ohio was going to lose, it picked a good time to do it.

Since the upset loss to Buffalo on Feb. 3, Ohio is playing its best basketball this year — just in time to close the regular season.

Ohio (21-4, 13-1 Mid-American Conference) hosts Kent State in The Convo, in the first matchup of a three-game homestand. In the four regular season games remaining, opponents have a combined 15-41 conference record.

In the last four games, Ohio’s average win margin has been 25 points. The team has averaged 86 points while only allowing 61.

At the time of the upset loss to Buffalo, it was reasonable to question how much Ohio needed Jasmine Weatherspoon to be healthy, or if one bad night could transform into a lull.

Yet, Weatherspoon has started every game since, and the Bobcats win more emphatically with each updated box score.

That should be the case Wednesday night, too.

Kent State, Ohio’s first victim, happens to be the worst team in the MAC, with a measly 2-12 record.

Things are coming together

Last season, a win at Akron throttled Ohio closer to the MAC regular season title and the No. 1 seed in the MAC Tournament next month in Cleveland.

The win was massive.

Yes, Ohio had another big win at Akron this season (an 101-73 win Saturday). But more importantly, another team had a massive loss.

Central Michigan lost 81-79 in overtime to Toledo at home, giving the Chippewas an 11-3 record in the MAC.

Ohio, at 13-1, now has a two-game lead over Central to win the conference. At this point, the Bobcats might as well begin lowering the conference title banner in The Convo and add 2015-16 to regular season conference titles.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="01fc48d4-d9ab-11e5-b9a4-1b5eb6200714"}}

Bracketeering

While they don’t matter until they're official, mock NCAA Tournament brackets are still amusing.

And with most media outlets projecting Ohio to win the conference, here are a few predictions.

Missouri vs. Ohio, per ESPN.

This is perhaps the most interesting because ESPN’s Charlie Creme believes the Bobcats can earn a No. 11 seed. The projection has the game taking place in College Park, Maryland.

Mississippi State vs. Ohio, per Real Time RPI.

Another scenario where the Bobcats are listed as an 11-seed. But don’t read too much into it. This matchup, according to the site, would be in Durham, North Carolina. Ironically, Real Time RPI left out Duke, so this one is basically impossible.

Arizona State vs. Ohio, per College Sports Madness.

Yes, it's the same matchup as last season. The same seeds and the same location. Who knows, if it actually happened, Ohio might even stay in the same hotel, too. 

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu