Guest trombonist Michael Davis plays trombone while Lucas Borges conducts the OU Trombone Choir on Feb. 7 as part of the Performing Arts and Concert Series.

Two student ensembles performed with Michael Davis for Trombone Day 2016

Ohio University’s 2016 Trombone Day saw famed artist Michael Davis perform with OU Jazz Ensemble I and the OU Trombone Choir in Glidden Recital Hall on Sunday.

Famed trombonist Michael Davis, who has performed with Frank Sinatra, The Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson and many other well-known names, can now add the Ohio University Jazz Ensemble I and OU Trombone Choir to his list of partners.

Davis’ Sunday late afternoon concert in Glidden Recital Hall was the culmination of the OU School of Music’s “Trombone Day.” Davis — who has also composed 150 works and written 13 books — conducted pieces, played solo pieces and performed with the Jazz Ensemble I and Trombone Choir and with a guest trombone choir.

“I loved it,” Davis said. “(The ensembles) did a great job and were well prepared.”

Pieces performed included both Davis’ favorites and originals. Of the nine total pieces performed by the Jazz Ensemble and the Trombone Choir, five were Davis’ original work. He said his favorite piece of the performance was Bobby Lucas’ “Classic” because he wrote it for the Athens show and “it enabled everyone to play together.”

Rich Kern, a freshman studying music education and a trombone player, said his favorite piece by the Trombone Choir was “Back to the Fair.”

“It was six amazing trombone players just shredding,” he said.

Alex Herrera, a freshman studying music education, heard about the performance from one of his professors and said he was pleased with the performance.

“My favorite piece was ‘Leviathan’ because it was very dark and interesting, and it was the whole trombone choir playing,” he said.

Matthew James, OU Jazz Ensemble director, opened the ensemble’s part of the show with a re-designed version of “Tapis Miller” by Buck Clayton, focusing on its four trombonists Jerry Umholtz, Ian Elick, Nolan Miller and Erich Haller before bringing Davis to the stage.

The rest of the pieces in the jazz ensemble’s set were all composed by Davis including “Walk Like the Guv.” Davis explained to the audience that the “guv” title was chosen because he wanted it to exude the confidence that politicians have to “make things happen.”

After the show, Davis was eager to talk with students outside of the recital hall, saying his advice to aspiring OU musicians is “to be tenacious and to make it happen.”  

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="43a8e830-bee1-11e5-80df-abe0c02d3341"}}

Specifically for the Trombone Choir, Halle Seymour, a member of the group, said Davis offered “stylistic advice” and advice for playing classic jazz.

“It was a great experience. He knows a lot and he is very informative,” the sophomore studying music education said. “I learned a lot.”

@Livvy_C

oc140613@ohio.edu