Weekender Banner

The Weekender: Dress codes and Dances

This is your place for all things happening this weekend in Athens.

Post Modern: Dress Codes

On a hot day in April 2014, about 30 boys — mostly seniors — walked into Athens High School wearing a little less than they had the day before. 

The boys wore above-the-knee–length shorts in response to an idea that was posted on the AHS Class of 2014 Facebook page by then-senior Devon Halliday. 

“In light of (the) announcement today that ‘ladies’ will be sent home if their shorts are too short, I vote that all the guys come in tomorrow wearing short-shorts,” Halliday, now a sophomore at Brown University, posted on the page the night before. 

“That’s an absolutely fantastic idea,” someone commented on her post. 

“So I know what I’m doing to an old pair of jeans tonight,” another responded. 

And so began the short-shorts revolution at Athens High School. 

Although the movement may have started as a “senior prank with a gender equality twist,” as one person described on the post, Halliday said she wrote it because she was frustrated that the administration’s announcement targeted girls. 

“Getting sent home and scolded for your wardrobe was something (girls) had to think about. It was an annoying thing to try to consider in the morning when I’m trying to get dressed,” Halliday, who studies comparative literature, said. “Administration took it very lightly. A couple guys might have been told to change, but none of them were sent home.” 

Two Strings Bands at Casa: Fans of bluegrass are in luck — not one, but two string bands are playing Friday.

Fox N Hounds and the Hocking River String Band will be playing at Casa Nueva at 10 p.m. Both bands, who have played together in the past, say they complement each other well.

“It’s a good combination of sounds,” Steven Fox, the lead singer of Fox N Hounds, said. “We work well together.”

David Bromberg: A legendary star will be stopping by southern Ohio this weekend for music performances from many different genres.

Grammy-nominated multi-instrumentalist, songwriter and singer David Bromberg and his Quintet will perform at Stuart’s Opera House on Saturday.

Bromberg’s notable songs include “Mr. Bojangles,” “Try Me One More Time” and “New Lee Highway Blues.” His most recent releases include “Keep on Drinkin’” and “Nobody’s Fault but Mine” from his 2013 album, Only Slightly Mad.

Open Doors Casa Dance: Red, yellow, green, or purple — you choose your bracelet color and simultaneously your interest status for the evening at this weekend’s Open Doors Casa Dance at Casa Nueva.

Open Doors, Ohio University’s LGBTIQQA student union, has been hosting dances at Casa Nueva for at least a decade. Saturday’s “stoplight theme” dance will be the first Open Doors’ dance of the Spring Semester.

To follow a “stoplight theme,” when attendees arrive, they choose between four colors, each representing what they might be interested in at the moment. Red means taken or uninterested. Yellow means it’s complicated. Green tells others to “go for it.” A purple bracelet means one is seeking friendship or a platonic relationship