Members of the Ohio University club lacrosse team practice at Walter Field house on February 15th, 2016. 

Ohio men's club lacrosse is the biggest powerhouse you’ve never heard of

Despite playing only four games in the fall portion of its season, the Ohio University men’s lacrosse team is undefeated and ranked third in the National College Lacrosse Leagues rankings.

Men's club lacrosse is the best Ohio sports team you've never heard of. 

The Bobcats have won their conference, the MidWest No. D1, the past three years, and went undefeated in 2014-15. 

Last season they made the quarterfinals in the national tournament.

Coach Evan Beck, who is also a student, said Ohio has a strong foundation to build on moving forward into the spring portion of the schedule.

Ohio is 5-1 entering the spring portion, which begins March 11 against West Virginia at Pruitt Field.

The Bobcats are ranked No. 3 in the country, according to the National College Lacrosse League (NCLL). In the preseason they were ranked No. 9. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b19b2352-d02b-11e5-a2c2-6b96ba62c79b"}}

“We come to work each day to reach our goal of a conference championship," Beck said. "This year (we want to compete) for a national championship.”

Beck has played on the team for the past three years, but thought it'd be better for Ohio if he stuck to coaching exclusively.  

“I’ve been a player and a captain for three years, and this year I kind of took a step back and take more of a president's role,” he said. “I’ve seen other presidents get overwhelmed having to be in charge of the team and still be playing on the field.”

@cwicks21

cw392813@ohio.edu