Jasmine Weatherspoon outjumps her opponent during Ohio's game against Akron on Jan. 27. The Bobcats beat the Zips 75-55. 

Making a case for: The women's basketball team deserves an at-large bid for NCAA Tourney

Sports Editor Charlie Hatch thinks Ohio deserves a shot at an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.

Editor’s Note: This is the first story in our “Making a case for…” series. 

Coach Bob Boldon laughed off the question a few weeks ago.

If Ohio was going to make the NCAA Tournament, winning the Mid-American Conference Tournament is the only way. That’s just the way it is.

That shouldn’t be the case.

Hypothetically, this column isn’t necessary if the Bobcats win the conference tournament next month in Cleveland, but it’s worth visiting the topic anyway.

Here are some stats worth more than a quick glance:

18-4

The Bobcats are 18-4 so far this season. They’re also 10-1 in the MAC.

If they win out, including the conference tournament, they’ll be 24-4. That’s identical to the 2014-15 record before the Bobcats lost to Arizona State in the NCAA Tournament.

The similar record shows two things: 1. Ohio is consistent, and 2. Despite a tougher schedule than last year, Ohio is just as good if not better.

At this point, it’s not far-fetched to think the team will go unbeaten the rest of the regular season and win the MAC regular season title. Ohio has a one-game lead over Ball State for the No. 1 seed.

31

Boldon and his Bobcats were ranked 31 in the latest NCAA RPI poll on Tuesday. RPI, the Rating Percentage Index, ranks teams based on wins and losses given their schedules.

To add some context to that, 349 teams play D-I basketball. Listed at No. 31, Ohio is in the top 8.9 percent, which is pretty damn impressive.

Sixty-four teams will make the NCAA Tournament. Of that, 32 will win their conference and 32 will receive at-large bids.

Given Ohio’s RPI, even if it lost in the conference tournament, that number is high enough that it should merit an invitation.

26?

Before an upset loss at Buffalo last week, Ohio received one vote in the USA Today Coaches Poll to be in the Top 25. Of course, that was before the loss.

The Bobcats didn’t get any votes this week, and probably won’t again this season. As Boldon put it, that’s just what it is.

Maybe top 25 hopes are shot, so what? Members of the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee should at least take note that the Bobcats were on the fringe.

0

That number has more clout than any of the previous ones, sadly.

Ohio has never won in the NCAA Tournament. Seeding in the tournament is a big problem.

Despite its winningest season in program history last year, Ohio still was a 14-seed, and had to play 3-seed Arizona State. The Sun Devils were the No. 9 team in the country. Ouch.

Say the Bobcats got an at-large bid. That would probably give the team a 12- or 13-seed. Any difference?

Yes.

If Ohio was a 12-seed playing a 5-seed, then it would play a team nationally in the mid-teens or lower 20s. Not within the top 10.

Maybe then Ohio could win a game in the NCAA Tournament. Just maybe.

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu