Assistant Dean of Students Jamie Patton kicked off Tuesday's Campus Conversation, which focused on the movie 'Selma.' 

Campus Conversations sometimes lack student attendance despite meaningful discussions

Campus Conversations at Ohio University first started in fall 2013, but its attendance is a common criticism.

Ohio University periodically holds Campus Conversations each semester, with the goal of allowing students to "engage in constructive dialogues on a variety of topics affecting college campuses and our nation," according to OU's website.

However, that goal can be limited when few students show up.

“I think the critique would be we’re not reaching the people who need to be here, that we’re preaching to the choir,” Jenny Hall-Jones, the interim vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students, said.

Though the university doesn't keep track of how many people attend the events, attendance has ranged from about 30 to 60 people for some conversations, according to previous Post reports.

Hall-Jones said those who attend the Campus Conversations are often only the ones who want to discuss the various topics.

“You're only reaching the people who want to be reached, and that’s a very fair critique, but I would rather ... have (the conversations) be in people’s minds, have people know about them, give people the opportunity to come," Hall-Jones said. "There’s nothing wrong with the choir practicing."

Christina Dulovich, a junior studying finance and management information systems, said she had never heard of OU's Campus Conversations. Dulovich suggested the university hang flyers around Baker Center and the dining halls to spread the word.

In order to improve attendance, OU student Sasha Estrella-Jones suggested that learning communities and some entry-level classes should require students to attend a Campus Conversation. 

Tyrin Rome, a junior studying music production, said the university could offer incentives such as extra credit to increase attendance at the conversations.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8e6179ac-c47a-11e5-917e-13063a608aac"}}

“The more people are interested, the more people come, then you’re just going to have a bigger impact,” Hall-Jones said. "Because then you tell your circle of friends and your circle of influence, so I don’t want to not have them."

The university started Campus Conversations after an alleged rape on Court Street took place during Homecoming weekend 2013, Hall-Jones said. Some Campus Conversations have had different formats, including panels, discussions and responses to movies, Hall-Jones said.

Estrella-Jones attended her first Campus Conversation after seeing The Hunting Ground in September.

“I went to that because I think, in general, the whole rape culture on campus is widespread; I feel at Ohio University but also many campuses,” Estrella-Jones, a junior studying anthropology, said.

Last month, Estrella-Jones served as a panelist for one of the Campus Conversations about race.

According to OU's fall 2014 enrollment numbers, the most recent data available, OU's Athens campus had about 18,300 white students, 1,200 black students, 650 hispanic students and 300 Asian American students.

“I think it’s effective that (the Campus Conversations) are even happening,” Estrella-Jones said. “A lot of universities will not take the initiative to talk about topics that we all know are affecting us and people that we know, but we kind of keep hush on it.”

Campus Conversations are a campus and community collaboration, Assistant Dean of Students Jamie Patton said.

“(The purpose of Campus Conversations is to) continue our deep tradition of being able to discuss difficult conversations ... about the many 'isms' that exist in our society,” Patton said.

Estrella-Jones said the difficult part of the conversations is taking what is discussed and applying it to everyday life.

"We have to listen to what’s being said at those meetings and take it out and put forth action and implant changes that students want to see that will benefit all Bobcats around campus,” Estrella-Jones said. 

Rome said he attended a couple Campus Conversations before he was a panelist and said he thought it was important to hear the perspectives of different people and different cultures.

“I do think people who go will leave with an enlightened perspective,” Rome said.

The Campus Conversations are helping students, faculty and staff understand a different perspective and have their voices heard, Patton said.

“We are hopeful that sometime during a student’s career at Ohio University, they will engage in at least one Campus Conversation,” Patton said.

The next Campus Conversation is Feb. 24 and the topic is faith, Patton said. 

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu