Peter Mather, secretary to the Ohio University Board of Trustees, and Sandra Anderson, currently the chair of the board, listen to presentations from various university officials during a previous board meeting in January.

Upcoming Board of Trustees meeting, City Council meetings and primaries to take place this semester

While a new semester can mean an increase in going to the gym or studying more for some Bobcats, it also marks expected changes within the university and the city of Athens.

While a new semester for some Bobcats can mean an increase in going to the gym or studying more, it also marks expected changes within the university and the city of Athens.

Board of Trustees updates

At the Jan. 22 Board of Trustees meeting, the board will be asked to approve Tuition, Room and Board increases for freshmen and transfer students who will join the university Fall 2016. If approved, this will be the seventh consecutive year that costs for incoming freshmen have increased.

At the same meeting, the board will be asked to approve the beginning stages of construction for a few facilities on campus. Projects included in the request are the steam distribution system repairs, a flat roof for Boyd Hall, exterior paint and window repair on College Green, phase one of the Factory Street substation sinkhole, the expansion of Grover Center, the construction of OUL Brasee Hall Fitness Center and repairs to the roads of Van Vorhes Drive and University Terrace.

In the Jan. 22 agenda, the board plans to approve the university’s Course and Program Management Plan. That plan will allow the university to reduce low-enrollment courses.

Three measures will be used to evaluate program size and productivity, according to the agenda. The university will look at the number of degrees granted in a three-year average, credit hours produced by faculty and the cost per student.

The university had until Jan. 1 to evaluate the programs to see which fell under the guidelines given. According to the agenda, of the 5,278 lecture sections reviewed in the Athens campus, 4.6 percent were below the minimum threshold set.

City Council updates

A few blocks down the road, Athens City Council plans to continue with its projects.

“In February, there will be continued public comment on AirBnb,” Chris Knisley, president of city council, said.

Currently, Airbnb’s are allowed within the city, Knisley said. The problem is that some have been operating in R1 zones, which are exclusively single family homes, she said.

Another property dilemma the city faces Spring Semester is the possibility of annexing the Athens Garden Apartments due to them being outside the city limits, Knisley said. The apartments are going to be purchased and revamped into affordable housing for low income families, according to a previous Post report.

Aside from apartment complexes, the city’s plan for a city pool is moving forward.

“The advancement board has a final recommendation for the city pool,” Knisley said.

After the recommendation, the design work will need to be completed.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f74c7cb0-b7e0-11e5-84f7-b76c4b9c4549"}}

2016 Presidential Primaries

Later in the semester, Ohio residents will vote in the primaries for the 2016 presidential election. On March 15, registered voters can vote for the party candidate they want to be in the general election in November.

As of now, 12 Republican candidates remain in the race. According to USA Today's presidential poll tracker, businessman Donald Trump is in the lead with 34 percent for the Republican party.

Three Democratic candidates remain, with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley fighting for the nomination. The presidential poll trackers shows Clinton in the lead with 52.8 percent.

In the 2012 general election, 66.1 percent of Athens County overwhelmingly voted for President Barack Obama, the Democratic nominee, according to politico.com.

@Fair3Julia

Jf311013@ohio.edu