President Roderick McDavis speaks at the student senate meeting on Oct. 7.

The student body may gain more control in Ohio University's Student Senate

Senate members presented a referenda system that would give Ohio University students a more democratic role in student senate.

Ohio University students may have a direct voice in Student Senate in the future.

Courteney Muhl, senator for the College of Health Sciences and Professions, and Jordan Kelley, a university life commissioner, gave a presentation to the senate body Wednesday night about a referenda system that will be voted on at the next meeting.

According to the presentation, a referendum would be an online poll sent out to the student body to assess students' stances on an issue that senate is voting on. Referendums would be sent out if two-thirds of the senate body agree that they want students to be polled.

The referendum's vote, whether for or against an issue, would be translated into one-third of the total votes in the senate, resulting in a direct effect on Student Senate's vote.

The referenda system was initially a platform point on SOS’s campaign last spring, Muhl said.

“This was kind of a way to re-look at how we bring democratic votes back to the senate and a way for students to put their individual opinions in on any issue that impacts the student body,” Muhl said after the meeting ended. “Then have senate hear it, be able to evaluate what the student body wants and then apply that to our vote.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="ea88d58c-bf3d-11e5-b4c0-8bcb0482d6f8"}}

Muhl said she is positive about what other senate members will think, and she believes the resolution will go through easily.

Kelley said he also thinks the resolution will pass.

“This is something that is very important, and if it fails next week we’ll still go forward with trying to change the problems people have with it and making it better and making it good enough for the student body,” Kelley said after the meeting.

Gabby Bacha, president of senate, said she thinks there will be a lot of question and debate over the referenda system next week but that it will end favorably.

“I’m really open to anything as long as we feel like we're doing our best we can to get that student voice in there,” Bacha said after the meeting.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f48f5dc0-bef3-11e5-8a5d-43325dfb7dd8"}}

In addition to the presentation on the proposed referenda system, the body passed a budget resolution that will fund senate members to go to a conference, spending $3,318 and passed a resolution appointing Pablo Beierle to the position of West Green Senator.

“It’s a step in the right direction,” Beierle said. “I think it’s just kind of showing how my hard work last semester is paying off, and it feels great to be a part of this.”

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu