Athens County Courthouse (FILE)

Suspect arrested in case of arson, burglary at Ohio University fraternity house

Michael A. Carson, 21, was arrested Friday for the arson and burglary of Ohio University’s Theta Chi fraternity house.

The Athens Police Department arrested an arson and burglary suspect Friday as he returned to the Port Columbus International Airport after vacationing abroad.

The suspect, Michael A. Carson, 21, was arrested for arson and burglary, which occurred Dec. 29, according to the Athens News, at 117 E. State St. The house is used by Ohio University's chapter of the Theta Chi fraternity.

It's not immediately clear whether Carson is an OU student, but the OU directory returns two results for "Michael A. Carson."

APD and the Columbus Regional Airport Authority Police arrested Carson as he exited a plane landing from his vacation in the Bahamas, according to a news release from APD.

Images captured from the video surveillance system at the fraternity house were released on social media, which led APD to more tips for the investigation. Those tips led to the discovery of Carson arriving in Columbus on Friday, according to the release.

Carson remains in Franklin County Jail, where he awaits a Rule 4 hearing early next week, according to the release. That hearing will be the first appearance in the criminal arraignment session.  

@Fair3Julia

Jf311013@ohio.edu