Ross Perry laughs just after hurling a snowball at other students participating in a large group snowball fight in front of Nelson dining hall during Ohio University's second snow day of the semester on February 3, 2014. 

Survival tips for Athens' first snow storm of the year

We may get some snow this weekend, here are some tips to make it through alive.

Get on your hats and lace up your boots, folks, snow is on the forecast this weekend.

From late morning Friday through the day on Saturday, the Scalia Labs predict off and on snow for Athens, Nate McGinnis, the associate director of Scalia, said.

Though initial forecasts predicted higher totals, McGinnis said, two to six inches is more accurate due to the storm, which is coming from the west, moving further southeast.  

Heres some tips for making it through Athens' possibly first snow storm of the year:

via GIPHY

Invest in a snow shovel and bag of salt (and no, that doesn't mean steal the white jars of salt off your favorite table in Shively).

According to Athens Municipal code, the owner or occupant of a building bordering a public street with a sidewalk must take care of the snow and ice on it within four hours of daylight (if it happened over night), or since it snowed.

So, shovel and salt the sidewalk outside your house because the City of Athens tells you to, and to avoid a possible misdemeanor charge.

But don’t stress too much.

“We typically give plenty of time to take care of it,” Ron Lucas, Athens Deputy Safety-Service director, said.

He added that he believes the city usually gives a warning on the first account.

via GIPHY

Don’t let your pipes freeze.

Debbie Allen, an administrative assistant at L’Heureux Properties, shared some advice she gives her residents.

She said she recommends renters leave the cabinet door under the sink open so that heat can get to the pipes and also leave a small stream of water running from the sink.

But beware, make sure your drain isn’t clogged and the water is overflowing because Ohio University's Bird Arena should be the only indoor ice rink in town.

via GIPHY

Thank your local salt distributor.

Employees of the city and the university make sure we don’t accidentally slide down Jeff Hill on our rear-ends by salting in advance and during storms.

“We look at the weather forecast (when a storm is coming),” Steve Wood,  the executive director for facilities management, said. “We make sure that we have our personnel identified to come in early based on the weather forecast for precipitation, and we have our materials ready to go.”

So, go thank those people for getting out early and preventing us from making a fool of ourselves.

via GIPHY

Buy a sled.

Because it's fun to sled.

via GIPHY

If we end up missing this storm all together share this article with your Aunt Linda who lives in Maryland because she may need some tips there.

@m_peckable

mp172114@ohio.edu