Ohio University's drink of choice: Pepsi until 2022

Pepsi's contract with Ohio University is set to expire June 30, 2022.

There are those who like Coca-Cola and those who prefer Pepsi. 

But at Ohio University, the debate of Pepsi versus Coke is mostly a losing battle for fans of the latter.

Since 2012, Pepsi has paid Ohio University $190,000 each year as part of OU's 10-year "Pouring Rights" agreement with the beverage company.

The contract totals $1.9 million and is set to expire June 30, 2022. This money is to be "distributed by the university as it determines," with approval from OU's president, according to the agreement.

The agreement mandates that OU must not sell or distribute any soft drink other than Pepsi-Cola products. The agreement also doesn't allow the sale of tea drinks other than Lipton products, juice products other than Dole or Tropicana products, sports drinks other than Gatorade and bottled water other than Aquafina.

However, Pepsi does not have exclusive rights to serve its products at OU's convenience stores, which include West 82 Food Court, Boyd Market, Jefferson Market and Nelson Market. It does have the first choice when it comes to stocking shelves, according to the agreement.

As part of the agreement, Pepsi pays OU’s Athletic Capital Improvement Fund $120,000 each year and also pays $30,000 annually for 12 scholarships for OU students.

Rachel McDonald, a freshman studying European global studies, said that if it were in her power, she would change OU to a Coca-Cola campus.  

“I think it’s more refreshing," McDonald said. "I don’t know if it’s actually less sugary, but it tastes less sugary."

On the other hand, Michael Barber, a sophomore studying entrepreneurship, is a fan of Pepsi.

“I feel like Coke’s for old people,” Barber said. “I don’t know too many young people that like the taste of Coke.”

Barber also said he wants the campus to remain a Pepsi campus.

During the agreement, OU will provide Pepsi access — including VIP season passes and general admission passes — to sell its products at certain athletic events and activities for football, basketball, baseball, hockey and golf.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a4242b9a-c53d-11e5-ab10-87dd62557690"}}

Vice President for Finance and Administration Stephen Golding signed the contract in 2012.

Hanna Schultz, a sophomore studying athletic training, said that her drink of choice is water.

“I don’t really know a difference between Coke or Pepsi,” Schultz said.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu