Roderick McDavis, President of Ohio University, delivers his Report from the President during the Board of Trustees meeting in Walter Hall on Friday, October 17, 2014. 

Board to vote on tuition increases for class of 2020, possible demolition of President Street Academic Center

The Board of Trustees will meet Thursday and Friday in Walter Hall. 

Ohio University’s Board of Trustees will address agenda topics such as potential tuition increases for the class of 2020 at the governing body’s meetings Thursday and Friday.

Some other issues the board will discuss include the possible demolition of President Street Academic Center, the university’s draft of the Comprehensive Master Plan and a measure that could cut low-enrollment classes.

Tuition increases for the class of 2020:

The board will vote to approve a 1.7 percent tuition increase for incoming students for the 2016-17 academic year, according to the board’s agenda.  

That means incoming OU students in the class of 2020 could pay an additional $196 for tuition, which would bring the total for in-state students to $11,780.

Because of guaranteed tuition for the class of 2019, rates would not increase for them. Students not under the guaranteed tuition plan would see no increase in costs, according to the agenda.

The governing body will also consider a $500 increase in costs for non-residents, a $223 increase in room costs and $90 increase in board costs.

The four-year rate for guaranteed tuition means no students would then pay an increase in tuition after the first year.

Potential demolition of President Street Academic Center:

After delaying discussions at the board’s March 2015 meeting, trustees will address the potential demolition of President Street Academic Center, which was first constructed in 1911.

Joseph Lalley, the senior associate vice president for information technologies and administrative services, said the officials have resolved their issue with hazardous materials located in the building.

Officials also seek approval for a total project budget increase from $1 million to $1.5 million, according to the agenda.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b5bfa3a6-bf21-11e5-adb9-07d8798e4604"}}

Draft of the Comprehensive Master Plan:

After nearly a year of research, officials will present a draft of the university’s plan for the next 10 years.

Some major topics of change include addressing the renovation of buildings affected by flooding, renovation of The Ridges and dorm additions and renovations, according to a previous Post report.

Once officials take the board’s opinion into consideration, they will create the final master plan, which would be submitted for approval at the board’s March meeting.

“We’ve arranged the Master Plan, at least for this presentation, around five core ideas,” Shawna Bolin, the director of University Planning and Space Management, said. “Because the Master Plan is so comprehensive it has a lot of ideas within it, we are sharing highlights of the five core ideas within our presentation.”

Cutting small classes:

University officials plan to explain methods they're taking to determine which classes to eliminate.

The three main factors deciding which classes will be cut include the three year average amount of degrees granted, credit hours produced by faculty and the educational cost per student.

All of the board’s sessions are located in Walter Hall.

@kcoward02

kc769413@ohio.edu