Nate Wallace, a member of Athens for Bernie, addresses attendees at the meeting Thursday evening in Porter Hall. Topics such as opposing candidates, poll numbers and electability were discussed. 

Athens, OU Bernie Sanders supporters talk primaries at first meeting of 2016

Athens for Bernie and Bobcats for Bernie met to discuss strategies for winning early primaries in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Athens residents and Ohio University students gathered Thursday in Porter Hall to hold a meeting for a topic they all agree on — supporting Bernie Sanders.

The two groups, Athens for Bernie and Bobcats for Bernie, held the joint meeting to discuss strategies to help Sanders win, focusing specifically on the crucial political states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Sanders, a Democratic presidential candidate and senator from Vermont, has garnered more pronounced support in Athens since OU’s group formed last summer.

Andrew Guidarelli, a freshman studying aviation, said he likes Sanders as a candidate for his environmental and economic policies.

“I like him mainly for the progress he can bring in climate change and secondly because he wants to stop big corporations from infiltrating America,” he said.

The group of about 40 people were also excited to see how they could help Sanders’ campaign.

“I’m really interested in Bernie and want to learn how the community and Ohio University students were getting involved in the campaign,” Mira Kuhar, a senior studying strategic communication, said.

The meeting began with a group discussion on Sanders’ rising poll numbers. Attendees expressed joy that voters and the media were beginning to take Sanders more seriously.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="26682948-c0bc-11e5-a446-3b5a451bcab1"}}

Eddie Smith, and OU graduate student and a Democratic candidate to represent Ohio’s 94th district, and Councilman Pat McGee took the podium and discussed local Athens issues while also explaining why they support Sanders.

Smith touched on the topic of college affordability, an issue Sanders has made central to his platform. He also reiterated OU has the second-highest tuition default rate among public universities and wanted to work to cap prices on fees schools charge.

McGee talked about his appreciation for Sanders, who he called an “honest politician,” and admitted he had “never been so excited about someone.”

Stu Adams, head of Bobcats for Bernie, took the floor following McGee; he spoke highly of Sanders as a reliable candidate, citing his dedication to family and his care for all people.

Adams also outlined the importance of getting people registered to vote, saying the main goal of the organization this semester is to spread Sanders’ platform and encourage people to vote.

It is also possible Sanders may visit Athens in the future, according to Adams, who says he has been in touch with the campaign. He cautions, however, that it may be more likely to occur later in the campaign season.

Nate Wallace of Athens for Bernie also encouraged attendees to work phone banks and make calls to Iowa in order to encourage residents to participate in the state’s caucus Feb. 1.

Emily Barber, a junior studying strategic communication, said she felt encouraged by the meeting to go out and find ways to support Sanders.

“I thought it was great and saw more ways to get involved and help,” she said.

@brookendale

be278114@ohio.edu