Students walk across a snow-covered College Green on Tuesday. 

Athens County no longer under Level 3 snow emergency; OU campus reopens

About seven inches of snowfall has caused Athens County to upgrade to a Level 3 snow emergency Saturday morning.

Update Jan. 23 2:30 p.m.:

Ohio University's Athens campus reopened at about 2:05 p.m. Saturday following the announcement that Athens County was no longer under a Level 3 snow emergency.

According to an alert from OU, the university is "resuming normal operations" and roadways and walkways around campus have been cleared.

"Individuals are encouraged to exercise caution when traveling to and around campus," the alert reads.

Update Jan. 23 10:45 a.m.: 

Athens County was upgraded to a Level 3 snow emergency at about 7:30 a.m. Saturday.

A Level 3 snow emergency means all roadways in the county are closed except for use by emergency personnel, according to the Athens County Sheriff's office website. Anyone traveling on roadways may also be subject to arrest.

Ohio University's Athens campus closed as a result of the emergency, but several buildings are still open, according to an alert sent by OU at 9 a.m.

All scheduled classes and activities are also cancelled.

Buildings still open include:

• Alden Library (2nd floor opening at noon and closing at 10 p.m.)
  • Baker Center (open until midnight)
  • Dining courts and facilities (open with normal operating hours)
  • Living Learning Commons (open with normal operating hours)
  • Ping Recreation Center (open noon to 10 p.m.)

As of about 10 a.m. Saturday OU's Scalia Lab reported about seven inches of snowfall in the area.

At about 3:15 p.m. Friday, the Athens County Sheriff's Office upgraded to a Level 2 snow emergency for the county.

Athens County Sheriff Rodney Smith made the decision after consulting with his own officers and county engineers who are out in the thick of the snowstorm.

"The roads are getting really bad," Smith said.

Nate McGinnis, associate director of the Scalia Laboratory, said the temperature is key to understanding why the roads are so bad.

"Part of the issue is our temperatures are in the mid-to-low-20s," McGinnis said.

With accumulation of half an inch to three quarters of an inch of snow per hour, McGinnis said the majority of county roads in Athens County are probably snow-covered.

"The temperatures are probably not helping out the salt cruisers," McGinnis said.

Smith said in considering an additional upgrade to a Level 3 snow emergency, he would reach out to the Ohio Department of Transportation, as well.

"It's really very, very rare that we'd upgrade to Level 3," Smith said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="86aa9726-bfa6-11e5-b608-b75b3fc540ce"}}

According to the university's official procedures, Ohio University President Roderick McDavis or his appointed designee close classes if there is a wind chill 20 degrees below zero or a Level 3 snow emergency.

@kaitfoch

kf992915@ohio.edu