The Freshman Experience

Freshmen weigh in on the adjustment to college. 

Juggling long-distance relationships can be hard, but worth it:

College freshmen experience a great deal of change in their first year. They wrestle with busier schedules, adjusting to dorm life and avoiding the "freshman 15.” Schoolwork takes up enough time for those college students, but many must balance a specific aspect of their social life, as well. Many juggle with long-distance relationships with their significant others back home or at different universities. (Link)

What they don’t tell you about dorm bathrooms: Everyone tells you sharing a bathroom in a dorm with 50-plus girls is going to be an adjustment, but what they don’t tell you is what exactly you’re adjusting to. (Link)

Athens a Dubai, a love story: Amal Afyouni and her boyfriend, Christopher Ratheram, have a problem. They aren’t disagreeing on what sitcom to watch on Netflix during date night, nor are they a young couple having their first fight. In fact, the two are very much in love. (Link)

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="838a0840-aa72-11e5-a052-af332cbf4fe2"}}

Skype calls and Snapchats for one long distance relationship: After 16 days of being together, my boyfriend and I officially celebrated our seven month anniversary. Of course, what I’ve just said is impossible. I’m no mathematician, but even I know that there are far more than 16 days in seven months — that is the kind of stuff you learn in first grade math. I maintain, however, that my statement is 100 percent true. Confused yet? Allow me to explain. (Link)

From Amherst Steele High School to Ohio University, expectations of student success drastically changes: Though the collegiate years thrive on exorbitant tuition rates, late hours at the library and the promise that every hour of lost sleep will result in another accomplishment to woo prospective employers, it seems inappropriate to preface a narrative on my freshman experience with a quote teeming with the threat of an unpromising future. (Link)

Being in love in a world full of skeptics is worth it, say two Ohio college students: Before I begin, I’d like to make it clear that I am not naïve. I know the troubles this world brings upon anyone who ever claims to be in love. But I also believe that if you are in true love, any odds can be defied. (Link)

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="98010926-aa73-11e5-a56e-87ca15e19ecb"}}

Students with social anxiety disorder offer weigh in on surviving freshman year of college: “You want to die. Just like, for a short second you want to die. You want to not exist.” For a typical college freshman encountering an unfamiliar group of people, thoughts that dark may seem a little blown out of proportion. However, for those with social anxiety, that quote from Ohio University freshman Nick Dighero represents a harsh reality. (Link)