A 1920s Steinway concert grand piano sits in Robert Glidden Hall’s fourth floor recital hall. 

Humidity strikes an off key in Glidden Hall

The conditions in which pianos are kept can result in major repairs and loss in playability.

If it is too hot in the building during classes, students may feel uncomfortable, but it can have serious consequences for the pianos in Robert Glidden Hall.

Changes in temperature as well as humidity in the building that houses the school of music can affect pianos and other instruments.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="ad5d2406-8c9d-11e5-8635-274611f43d46"}}

Christopher Fisher, an associate professor of piano, said the environment where the pianos are kept has left some with thousands of dollars worth of repairs and others unplayable.

“Extreme shifts in humidity and temperature can have devastating effects on pianos and we are experiencing these effects in Glidden Hall,” Fisher said in an email. “Because the instruments are made largely of wood and depend, to a great extent, on wooden parts to function properly, humid or conversely excessively dry conditions cause serious damage due to swelling, warping, or parching of the wood. This can result in cracked soundboards, damage to pin-blocks, rusted strings, etc.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f1223d2a-83e7-11e5-b35b-6fbeb585c648"}}

Amanda Dunn, a junior studying music therapy with a piano principal, said she’s heard complaints from many students.

“Our biggest problem is just keeping a steady temperature,” Dunn said. “They’re not supposed to be in really hot temperatures.”

Steve Wood, executive director of Facilities Management, said high humidity in Glidden Hall has resulted from a steam line that has since been replaced.

“Without the ability to re-heat the spaces in Glidden during the steam line's replacement period, we had spaces with high humidity and no ability to heat/warm the spaces until steam was re-established to the new line, and then the building,” Wood said in an email.

Fisher added that serious heating, ventilation and air conditioning issues are felt throughout the school of music.

“Our piano inventory (which numbers around 100+) touches the lives of nearly every student in the school,” Fisher said in an email. “These issues can and do have an adverse effect on student recruitment and retention. “

Dunn added that not having a proper piano is frustrating.

“It’s a little upsetting to not be able to play a piano that’s tuned correctly when you have to practice for, like, your juries, which is our final exam for our test on whether or not we're still a music major,” Dunn said.

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu