Grosvenor Hall houses the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine

Heritage Community Clinic is named Ohio’s Free Clinic of the Year

The community clinic at the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine was named the state’s Free Clinic of the Year.

The Heritage Community Clinic at the Ohio University’s Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine has been named the state’s Free Clinic of the Year by the Ohio Association of Free Clinics and Ohio Department of Health.

December is Free Clinic Appreciation month, and this award was created by Ohio’s state legislature last year along with the Free Clinic Physician, Nurse and Dentist of the Year awards. Department of Health officials bestowed the honors at the Ohio Statehouse on Dec. 2.  

“The work of our faculty, students and staff in the Heritage Community Clinic exemplifies this college’s commitment to improving healthcare access for the people of our region who need it most,” Heritage College Executive Dean Kenneth H. Johnson said in a news release. “It is so fitting and really great to see their dedication and hard work being recognized.”

Located on the ground floor of Grosvenor West Hall in Athens, the Heritage Community Clinic gives primary and specialty health care to qualifying adults in Athens, Hocking, Meigs, Morgan, Perry and Washington counties. The clinic has two mobile units — containing fully equipped examination rooms — and visits several counties in the area in order to administer screenings, immunizations and other health care services. Also, the clinic helps fill patients’ prescriptions and offers referrals to other area care providers.

The clinic served 598 patients with care at a value of $72,368, distributed 346 prescription vouchers and reimbursed pharmacies $15,597, provided 115 prescription medications at a value of $177,866 and provided $32,063 worth of diabetes testing supplies in 2014-15, according to Community Health Programs.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f44fec2c-7901-11e5-a536-1bf92e982f95"}}

“We are fortunate to have the support of the Heritage College and the service of dedicated physicians and passionate staff who provide the care for our community,” Kathy Trace, director of Community Health Programs and the Area Health Education Center at the Heritage College, said in a news release.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu