A holiday wreath on a lampost on Court Street frames The Athena marquee on Nov. 24. The Athena is hosting a holiday film series from Nov. 28 to Dec. 19 to celebrate the season. 

Athena Cinema screening holiday classics

Celebrate the holidays in Athens with The Athena Cinema’s Holiday Film Series.

Holiday fun won't be lacking in uptown Athens.

To celebrate the holiday season this year, The Athena Cinema is hosting its annual Holiday Film Series as a part of the Family Fun Series. Movies will be shown every Saturday until Christmas at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

The Family Fun Series aims to bring a cheap, fun activity to the children of Southeast Ohio. Admission is, at minimum, one non-perishable food item, and it supports Athens city food pantries and other hunger relief programs, according to the Athena’s website.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a65f3606-9875-11e5-9bd6-ff765f741dc7"}}

“We love the holiday series because it offers students and families a low-cost holiday activity, and it gives patrons a chance to support those who don't have enough to eat in the area during the holiday season,” Alexandra Kamody, the director of the Athena, said.

Movies this year include many holiday favorites such as Elf on Saturday, The Polar Express on Dec. 12, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation also on Dec. 12 and How the Grinch Stole Christmas on Dec. 19.

Christmas Vacation will be a special evening showing Dec. 12 at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.

“The Athena staff gets especially excited about showing Elf every year,” Kamody said. “It is everyone's favorite and always brings in a really fun group of students, families and children that all love watching it on the big screen.”

With the low cost and good timing, it’s a good way to take a break from finals, according to Jessica Koynock, a freshman studying visual communication.

“It’s cool that Athens is celebrating the holidays and getting into the holiday spirit,” Koynock said.

Tickets are available one week before each screening, and there is a five ticket limit.

@wintuck

hw333514@ohio.edu