Wume

Wume, three other bands to play at Smiling Skull on Thursday

The Smiling Skull will be filled with local and out-of-state bands.

Baltimore-based band Wume will perform at the Smiling Skull Saloon as part of its tour across the Midwest.

Along with Wume, Chicago bands Earring and Plastic Crimewave and local band Nightstalker will also play Thursday night.

Wume is a two-piece band consisting of drummer April Camlin and Al Schatz on synth. According to Camlin, the two began collaborating in 2010 in Chicago and since then have moved to Baltimore.

“We’ve mostly toured the Midwest and East Coast. Although we’ve toured with Dan Deacon in Europe and the UK this (past) summer,” Camlin said.

Despite touring across the United States and abroad, the band has found the time to play in Athens before.

Camlin describes the sound of the band as “hypnotic polyrhythms and synthesis.”

The band has recently recorded and released its first album Maintain, which is available online through Ehse records website.

Earring is a psychedelic rock and jazz band based in Chicago since 2012. Like Wume, Earring is a two-person band, but instead consists of a drummer and a lead guitar player.

Jason Balla, a member of Earring, said the band’s sound is “distorted but beautiful … heavy but light woozy blues.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="ba1e7050-88ab-11e5-8794-57cc72cef716"}}

The band has also been on tour across the Midwest, making stops in states such as Illinois and Pennsylvania, and even playing in Ontario, Canada.

Plastic Crimewave Syndicate is another band based in Chicago. This four-member band plays with a much harder rock sound. The band has been touring all around the Midwest and has three releases via bandcamp.

Nightstalker is the one band of the night based in Athens. Anthony Longanbach, the vocalist for Nightstalker, sasid the band was originally conceived from a dark spot of the original four members' psyches and their thoughts of the famous serial killer Richard Ramirez. With these influences Longanbach said the sound of the band was “described as a dark surfadelic style rock.”

@smith_bms

bs361014@ohio.edu