Letter: Ohio University Environmental Coalition calls for action against climate change

Multiple local environmental organizations are forming the OU Environmental Coalition.

Inspired by the action being taken worldwide to organize around the issue of global climate change, local environmental organizations including the Sierra Student Coalition, OU Climate Action Now, Food Matters OU and Eco Reps, have decided to form an OU Environmental Coalition. We believe in organizing students and the community to continue the environmental progress Ohio University has already made. This letter is addressed to the entire OU and Athens community, but is specifically asking for the attention of:

President, Roderick McDavis

Vice President of Finance and Administration, Steve Golding

President and CEO of the OU Foundation, J. Bryan Benchoff

On behalf of the entire community, we would like to say thank you. Thank you for hearing our continuous call for action on climate change, and thank you for meeting the 20 percent renewable energy by 2020 commitment laid out in the Climate Action Plan. The recent announcement of making 50 percent of our purchased energy renewable is a proud moment for every Bobcat. We applaud the work of every member of this community for making this possible.

Despite this great news, there is still more to be done. The growing global climate crisis is an ever-present threat and will not be defeated until our entire society embraces renewable energy and stops burning fossil fuels. It is a humbling thought to think of how we can create this change globally, so let’s continue to stay focused on what we can do in our community. We believe Ohio University must continue to act, and we believe that the next steps are:

OUCAN:

Updating the Climate Action Plan with a new goal of carbon neutrality by 2030

Sierra Student Coalition:

Divesting our endowment from all direct and indirect fossil fuel investments by 2020

Food Matters OU:

Implementing the Real Food Challenge of 20 percent local sustainably raised food across campus by 2020

Eco Reps:

Updating the compost system to compost 100 percent of compostable food waste across campus by 2020

The actions that have been listed are imperative for a better Ohio University. Ohio University has made progress in the fight against climate change, and now it is time to fully commit to a safe, renewable and egalitarian future.

This letter was written by members of the Ohio University Environmental Coalition. We hope to inspire students, faculty, staff, the Athens community and the administration to make a better OU a reality. If you would like to connect with the OUEC, please email ohioenvironmentalcoalition@gmail.com