Haadiza Ogwude

Fresh, Fit and Full of Life: Coconut oil can have tremendous beauty, health effects

Columnist Haadiza Ogwude discusses the many everyday uses and benefits of coconut oil.

One of the biggest health and beauty trends of today is coconut oil. Coconut oil is good for everything from diets, to hair, to nails, to household cleaners. You cannot go wrong with coconut oil. Below are a few of the many ways you can incorporate coconut oil into your daily routine.

I first began using coconut oil in my hair. Coconut oil stimulates hair growth, moisturizes dry hair, adds luster, shine and softness, prevents breakage, dandruff, lice and split ends, and slows down hair loss. You can purchase coconut oil from any local beauty supply store, or you can make your own. When you’re in the shower apply a generous amount to your hair after shampooing. Let it sit for at least five minutes before rinsing to add moisture and shine back to your limp locks. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4a8ef5ee-83f5-11e5-8201-0f382c1e0121"}}

Coconut oil's creamy texture also makes for the perfect body moisturizer. Apply a quarter-sized amount right after you get out of the shower, so it can sink into your skin. Not only does it make your skin soft and smooth, but it gives your body a nice tropical scent. Coconut oil also makes the perfect lip balm, using its moisture to combat chapped lips.

If you don’t want to spend a lot of money on expensive eye cream, then substitute it for coconut oil. Rubbing just a dab under your eyes can help fight fine lines, puffiness and dark circles.  

Coconut oil can really enhance your diet, as well. Many oils are unsafe for cooking at high heat, but coconut oil is not. In Baking, in stir-frying and as a dairy-free replacement to butter are some of the many ways you can incorporate coconut oil in your meals. Also, adding a tablespoon to your favorite smoothie and drink will not only enhance the flavor but will be great for your health.

Coconut oil can even be used as a topical protector for wounds, shielding them with a thin chemical layer from outside contaminants. You can apply a small amount of coconut oil to scrapes and cuts. 

Basically, if there’s any part of your daily routine that needs enhancing, try coconut oil. You really cannot go wrong. From wounds, to meals, to nail care products, coconut oil will change your life. For more ideas and tips on the use of coconut oil, check various beauty and health blogs and websites. 

Haadiza Ogwude is a sophomore studying journalism. How do you use coconut oil? Tweet Haadiza @AdoreHaadiza or email her at ho299413@ohio.edu.