Women's golf player Hailey Hrynewich of Muskegon, Michigan, poses for a portrait. (File)

Women's Golf: Bobcats' young talent not enough to win MAC Fall Preview

Women's golf finishes off Fall play at the MAC preview; finishes in ninth place. 

Although the Bobcats stumbled to a ninth-place finish out of 13 teams at this year's MAC Fall Preview, the young talent on Ohio provided a promising future for coach Kelly Ovington.  

The Bobcats finished the first portion of their season with 81 shots over par for a three round score of 945. The Toledo Rockets won the tournament shooting 33-over-par for a score of 897.

Freshman Emily Hughes and sophomore Lily Pendy had the two lowest scores for the Bobcats at the end of the tournament. Hughes had the lowest team score, as she shot 18-over-par for a score of 234. Pendy finished the tournament 19-over-par for a score of 235. Hughes and Pendy finished in 31st and 35th place, respectively.

Despite missing last week's tournament because of strep throat, Pendy was able to contribute low scores for the Bobcats.

“(Pendy) turned this into a very good tournament for her, she did not have her A swing and she was just coming off of being sick last week,” Ovington said. “But she was still able to work the ball around the course as best she could to score and help her team.”

Despite the contributions from Hughes and Pendy, through 54 holes of golf the Bobcats sunk only 13 birdies. The tournament average for birdies made was 22, and Ohio finished with the fewest amount of birdies out of any Mid-American Conference team.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="76499456-7080-11e5-aefa-d72aa2535c7e"}}

Despite their short-comings thus far this season, the Bobcats still finished in the top five in two of their five tournaments. Whether its record shows it, the Ohio team has plenty of young talent that could get stronger during its offseason.

The MAC Fall Preview marks the end of the Bobcats' fall portion of the season, the Bobcats' season picks up again in February.

“I have an entire team of No. 1s, anybody can really step in and be that No. 1 player,” Ovington said.

@cwicks21

cw392813@ohio.edu