Women's Golf: Bobcats look to hold on to lead at The Rocket Classic

After the first day of the Rocket Classic the Bobcats are in second place out of eleven teams.

Whether it was the shortened travel time, or just some good old-fashioned Mid-American Conference competition, the Bobcats are looking to complete their best finish of the season at the Rocket Classic.

With a sizable gap between Ohio and third place Loyola, the Bobcats are 18 holes away from a season-best, second place finish. After 36 holes on day one, the Bobcats shot 39 over par for a team score of 615.

The Rocket Classic is held in Port Clinton, Ohio at the Catawba Island Club on the shore of Lake Erie. This is the Bobcats first tournament in Ohio this season.

While freshman Nicole Smiley and junior Hailey Hrynewich posted top five scores, Ohio is still 26 strokes behind host Toledo. At the end of day one, Smiley shot six over par for a score of 150 and Hrynewich shot seven over par for a score of 151.

Since coming in fifth place at their season-opening tournament, the Bobcats have not been able to break the top five again all season. If able to hold on to their ten-stroke lead during the third and final round, the Bobcats will have completed their best finish of the season.

After the first day, Ohio has been able to outplay fourth place Bowling Green, as the Bobcats haven’t been able to keep up with their MAC rivals all season. In fact, in the two other times Ohio has faced off against Bowling Green, the Falcons finished with an average 14-and-a-half fewer strokes than the Bobcats.

A top finish could be huge for the Bobcats as The Rocket Classic is the last tournament on their schedule before they travel to Noblesville, Indiana for the MAC Fall Preview.

The final round of the Rocket Classic tees off with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. on Tuesday.

@cwicks21

cw392813@ohio.edu