Letter: Students, residents should help stop people smoking on campus

Ohio University instituted a smoking ban, but there are no official punishments for violating the rule.

Walking through campus I have noticed that the tobacco free policy that Ohio University has put in place at the beginning of the school year has clearly failed.

The policy includes a ban on smoking tobacco, e-cigarettes, hookah-smoked products and any oral tobacco on Ohio University's campus. Though this policy has been in place for three months, I have observed no change in the behavior of students. There has been times where I have had to walk around people standing on the stoop of my residence hall smoking a cigarette to get into my building, or people walking down the sidewalk, smoking a cigarette, causing everyone around them to unwillingly breathe in their smoke. I appreciate that Ohio University has put the policy in place, not only to make campus a more enjoyable environment, but also with the thought of people's health. But with no one following the policy, what's the point? There are no repercussions keeping people from smoking on campus.

Students and community members should make it their mission to stop people from smoking on campus. Not only is tobacco use dangerous for the individual, but it also has negative effects to those around the smoker.

Katy Schwarz is a student at Ohio University.