Letter: Recent letter to the editor hate speech, ‘Post’ should ‘implement more inclusive policies’

One student thinks the apology, which came in the form of an editorial, dealing with a recent letter was an “attempt at pacifying an understandably outraged community.”

I was so happy that The Post has made the decision to begin publishing hate speech! It gives a wonderful opportunity to allow privileged and majority groups to further victimize minorities in a venue that has up until now been barred to them. I’m sure this privilege of freely vocalizing vitriolic hatred will be extended to all groups, such as the KKK, ISIS, and the WBC.
Minority groups will, of course, be allowed to participate in this cesspool of animosity, even though its very existence creates a potentially violently unsafe situation for them to do so.

In in all seriousness, the article published October 13th was an absolutely unacceptable breach of both etiquette and common social civility. It is absolutely embarrassing that one of the most celebrated schools of journalism in the country failed in such a spectacularly absurd way that they failed to even do the most basic of research. If they had, they most likely would have refrained from posting the vitriolic, hateful opinion of the founder of a registered Anti-LGBT Hate Group whose opinion has absolutely no relevance to a local newspaper meant to serve the Athens community, because he isn’t even from Athens.

Not only is the article pure hate speech, it is scientifically inaccurate drivel that shows all the literary talent and grace of a tantrum-throwing five-year-old who doesn’t want to share his toys. There is a difference between free speech and hate speech, and seeing as it is a distinction understood by those with even the most basic and rudimentary understanding of journalism and basic human decency, there is no excuse for this kind of blatantly hostile attack on the Athens LGBT Community.

The Post’s apology is an inadequate attempt at pacifying an understandably outraged community in order to cover their own skins. They knowingly and completely uncritically published a letter whose content was not only bigoted, but hurtful and blatantly scientifically incorrect. My proposition is that perhaps The Post should remove their collective heads from whatever hole they have them jammed in, stop trying to justify their complete lack of consideration for the minority groups on this campus, and instead try to actually implement more inclusive policies instead of making no effort to improve their journalism and giving perfunctory excuses after the fact.

Eren S is an undecided sophomore.