The Hungry Cat Food Truck was used as a dining hall substitute on West Green during the spring semester while Boyd Dining Hall was closed for renovation. As of Monday, October 5, 2015, the food truck will be parked near Clippinger Hall and will be operated by Ohio University Culinary Devices as a retail venue. 

Hungry Cat Food Truck makes comeback

After feeding hungry students on West Green last semester, the Hungry Cat Food Truck will now be stationed near Clippenger and eventually the top of Morton Hill.

Come meal time, hungry Ohio University students now have another dining option.

After being used as a dining hall substitute on West Green last Spring Semester while Boyd Dining Hall was closed for renovations, The Hungry Cat Food Truck opened for business near Clippinger Laboratories on Monday, OU spokeswoman Katie Quaranta said.

The food truck will continue to be operated by Ohio University Culinary Services as a retail venue, Quaranta said.

During the summer, Culinary Services worked with Student Senate and the vice president of student affairs to make a survey about The Hungry Cat. Students gave feedback concerning preferred hours, locations and menu offerings, Quaranta said.

A second parking location for The Hungry Cat will be added soon to the top of Morton Hill, near the intersection of Park Place and University Terrace, Quaranta said.

“Once the site is prepped to allow the truck to be safely parked and serve customers, the operation schedule will rotate between each location,” Quaranta said in an email.

The food truck will be at the top of Morton Hill on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and parked at Clippinger on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The current plan is to serve and support the Ohio University community as a retail venue, but we are solidifying plans to offer The Hungry Cat to university departments, student organizations and catering customers for use during special events on campus,” Quaranta said in an email.

The food truck's menu currently includes a BLT, a Chicken Cheddar Club, a Vegetarian white bean burger, a South Green veggie wrap and a southwest salad.

Gavin Meyers, a freshman studying anthropology, tried The Hungry Cat Food Truck for the first time Monday afternoon and ordered a pasta salad.

“I was hungry walking around so I thought, 'Why not?'” Meyers said.

The Food Truck does not take meal swipes, but it does accept Flex Points, Bobcat Cash, credit, debit or cash, Quaranta said. 

Jordan Elder, a sophomore studying exercise physiology, was a fan of the food truck last semester, especially the Churrasco beef sandwich.

Although she is glad The Hungry Cat is coming back, Elder thinks it should be more flexible with its hours.

“I think it should be open the whole day,” Elder said.

Sometimes Elder said she is unable to go to the dining halls because of her class schedule and then “there goes a swipe.” 

Morgan Scheufler, a sophomore studying psychology, is also a fan of The Hungry Cat.

“(The food truck) was convenient on West Green (last semester),” Scheufler said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="369e8dac-45d3-11e5-9f20-5b31d399aa48"}}

She said she likes how the food truck is making a comeback, but agrees with Elder's remarks about having more flexible hours.

“They should have it opened all the time,” Scheufler said.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu