Haadiza Ogwude

Fresh, Fit and Full of Life: Why you probably need to get more sleep

The effects of late night sleep can be imperative to one’s health, and not sleeping enough can lead to serious damage.

This past Homecoming Weekend was filled with activities for students and alumni alike to celebrate Ohio University. Parades, tailgates, football games and circuses were among the many events that took place this Homecoming week and weekend. Not only was it Homecoming Week, but it was midterm week as well. Between the many fun and exciting events that took place last week and midterm exams, projects and papers, sleep was virtually non-existent.

I know I received less than the standard eight hours of sleep that is highly recommended for young adults. I know in the fast-paced society we live in, we think we can complete all the tasks of the day that are ahead of us on only a few hours of sleep. We tell ourselves that we’ll catch up on our sleep another night, or we’ll take a little catnap later in the day. The truth is, we need sleep to function, and not only that, but if we continue to deprive our bodies of the sleep they need, it can lead to negative health effects.

Ann Pietrangelo, writer for the medical and health website Healthline.com, says in her article “The Effects of Sleep Deprivation On The Body” that, “You need sleep as much as you need to breathe and eat. While you’re sleeping, your body is busy tending to your physical and mental health and getting you ready for another day.”

In her article, Pietrangelo highlights five main systems of the body that are affected by sleep deprivation — central nervous system, immune system, respiratory system, digestive system and cardiovascular system. When you deny your body the sleep it needs to function properly, your cognitive functions are impaired.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="7df1a2a0-6dd0-11e5-9a54-f3b5ff97b1d8"}}

You may find yourself yawning a lot, feeling sluggish, unable to concentrate and learn new things, affected by short-term and long-term memory loss, etc. Sleep deprivation can also affect the production of protective cytokines and infection-fighting antibodies and cells that are used to fight off foreign substances like bacteria and viruses. It can also make you more susceptible to respiratory problems like the common cold and influenza. According to Harvard Medical School, a few studies have found a link between lack of sleep and weight gain. Along with eating too much and not exercising, sleep deprivation is one of the risk factors for obesity. Because sleep is a risk factor for obesity, it is also a risk factor for obesity-related health issues, such as high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke.

I know as college students especially, we have 110 things that occupy our time, but it is important that we take the time to set out a good amount of time for sleep each night. Of course, some weeks are more hectic than others, and no matter how much we try, it can still be impossible to catch that full eight hours of sleep. However, putting forth a conscious effort to try to get as much sleep as you can will do more for your overall health than you can imagine. So sleep well, Bobcats.

Haadiza Ogwude is a sophomore studying journalism. How many hours of sleep do you think students need? Tweet her @AdoreHaadiza or email her at ho299413@ohio.edu.