Bob Wren Stadium

Former Ohio baseball player sues Ohio University for $25,000

RyLee Rogers, a former catcher for Ohio University's baseball team, is suing the university for $25,000. 

A former Bobcat baseball player is suing Ohio University for allegedly ending his career as a catcher, according to court documents. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="0bf9cf16-51c8-11e5-8aa6-b78d792fcc16"}}

Rylee Rogers, a former catcher for OU, filed a claim against the university for $25,000 on Oct. 2 in the Ohio Court of Claims. 

During the 2012 season, Rogers was a freshman, and he suffered a torn labrum in his throwing arm. He underwent surgery by Cincinnati physician Timothy E. Kremchek, according to court documents.

Rogers returned to the diamond for the 2013 season and participated in throwing programs under the direction of coach Rob Smith, who will be in his fourth season leading the Bobcats. 

According to court documents, players "were discouraged by Smith from complaining about injuries or soreness or physical limitations."

On Oct. 5, 2013, Rogers assigned Smith to catch for the bullpen during the varsity-alumni game. 

After the game, Rogers "began to experience excruciating pain in his right arm," according to court documents, and his parents took him back to Dr. Kremchek, who performed a second surgery on Rogers' shoulder.

As a result of his second surgery, Rogers is unable to continue to his baseball career.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu