Ohio sophomore Megan Silveira attempts to keep the ball away from Appalachian State sophomore Micaela Diedericks during their game on Sept. 13. The Bobcats won 4-0. 

Field Hockey: Bobcats lose to Scarlet Knights 2-1, rout Chippewas 3-1

The Bobcats split this weekend of games, losing to the Scarlet Knights and beating the Chippewas.

Similar to how most of the season has gone, Ohio won one and lost one this weekend. 

The Bobcats could not muster the same sort of execution they've been used to on offense recently against the Scarlet Knights, as Ohio lost to Rutgers 2-1 on Sunday.

Ohio (5-5) outshot Rutgers (6-5), but coach Neil Macmillan said the team’s inability to capitalize on opportunities was a key factor in the loss.

“If you look at the stat sheet, we outshot them.  We held a team who has one of the highest outputs in the country in terms of scoring to only two goals and six shots,” Macmillan said.  “We did a great job with the general gameplan, but when it came to actually finishing and combining on our attacking end and making the most of the opportunities we had, we fell short."

Macmillan said not being able to capitalize on these opportunities is frustrating, as the Bobcats haven’t had severe problems on the offensive end this season. The team has been competitive on offense this season, but a recurring theme is their inability to exploit on opportunities.

Senior Adele Sammons would score the Bobcats’ lone goal of the game, increasing her season total to four goals.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="e30f6b1a-6545-11e5-ba16-0b9d7e7a1a1f"}}

Though the offense’s inconsistencies showed against the Scarlet Knights, the team was able to succeed on the defensive end. Rutgers averaged more than three goals per game, and the Bobcats held them to two. 

“Our defense was outstanding. In terms of limiting them, we restricted their opportunities,” Macmillan said.

The offensive firepower Ohio has strung together before Rutgers did not falter against Central Michigan (0-11).  The Bobcats scored three goals in the game’s first half, beating the Chippewas 3-1 on Friday.

The Chippewas were the Bobcats’ first Mid-American Conference matchup of the season.  Last season, Ohio played No. 1 seed Central Michigan in the MAC tournament semifinals, as Ohio would upset Central Michigan, 2-1, in a shootout.

Although the Chippewas have underperformed this year, the Bobcats are glad to get their first MAC win of the season.

“We played a great game (Friday)," Macmillan said. "I think it was really good to end the first half with a goal right at the start and a goal right at the end. It’s good to start off the MAC season with a win.”

The Bobcats didn’t waste any time scoring their first goal of the game, as freshman Illona Hartman scored her first career goal 49 seconds into the match. 

As the first half progressed, the Bobcats saw the cage again in the eighth minute, as sophomore Elena Curley scored the team’s second goal. Curley has scored three goals this season, which is good for third behind Sammons sophomore Maria Russell. Russell has eight goals this season.

The Bobcats would score their last goal of the game near the end of the first half, coming off a corner from Sammons. 

@CameronFields_

Cf710614@ohio.edu