The Survivor Advocacy Program, located in Lindley Hall room 033, closed temporarily and is searching for an interim advocate.

F--kRapeCulture petition with demands for the Ohio University Survivor Advocacy Program garners more than 200 signatures

Two members of F--kRapeCulture started a petition Tuesday night concerning OUSAP. 

F--kRapeCulture has started a petition in the wake of Ohio University's Survivor Advocacy Program being left without a licensed and certified program coordinator.

Anika Holland, a member of F--kRapeCulture, said in an email that she started the petition Tuesday with the help of Sasha Gough on behalf of F--kRapeCulture. More than 200 people have signed the petition as of press time.

“We started this petition because we are outraged that in the first month of funding OUSAP, OU effectively dismantled the program,” Holland, a junior studying English, said in an email. “FRC is first and foremost a group for survivors, co-survivors, and allies, and we highly value the confidential resources that OUSAP provides.”  

On Oct. 16, Delaney Anderson, OUSAP's former program coordinator, left after taking a job outside of the university, according to a previous Post report.

F--kRapeCulture’s petition has six demands: The peer advocate program remains a part of OUSAP; Certain faculty members are designated as non-mandated reporters; OUSAP is completely shut down during the transition period; OUSAP’s budget and staff is not reduced during the period of transition and restructuring that follows; OU administrators are transparent; The director position for OUSAP is posted immediately.   

The petition is not limited to students. Professors, such as Patty Stokes, have signed it, as well.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="293e0ec6-7b4d-11e5-8c55-cb1c15ef4e04"}}

“In addition to supporting its specific goals, I hope that its circulation will help raise awareness of the importance of OUSAP to our students,” Stokes, assistant professor of women’s, gender and sexuality studies, said in an email.

Holland said in an email that F--kRapeCulture will give the petition to Interim Vice for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones, Vice Provost for Diversity and Inclusion Shari Clarke, Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit, Director of Equity and Civil Rights Compliance and Title IX Coordinator Inya Baiye and Special Assistant to the Vice Provost for Diversity and Inclusion Alicia Chavira-Prado, who is currently providing administrative leadership to OUSAP.

“I think that even if nothing results from this petition, people are being educated on the situation and it's also letting the administration know what we want and expect from them as students who attend this university,” Gough, a sophomore studying creative writing, said in an email.

Through the petition, F--kRapeCulture wants the university to see that students, faculty, staff and alumni utilize OUSAP’s services, Holland said in an email.

OUSAP has partnered with Counseling and Psychological Services to provide survivors with confidential support until a permanent program coordinator is hired, according to a previous Post report.

“CPS deserves credit for working hard to bridge the gap,” Stokes said in an email. “But I am aware of four individuals who would have sought services at OUSAP during the week of October 19, but did not or could not due to the loss of confidential advocates.”

Holland said in an email that F--kRapeCulture doesn’t feel Counseling and Psychological Services is a sufficient outlet for survivors. Campus Care is also a confidential reporting resource, according to a previous Post report.

“Survivors need advocates who are trained in sexual assault, domestic violence, harassment and stalking — counselors and psychologists who are not specifically trained in sexual assault just won’t cut it,” Holland said in an email.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu