Women's Golf: Ohio looks to improve in Cardinal Classic

After a ninth place finish last weekend at the Mary Fossum Invitational, Ohio looking to improve this Monday at the Cardinal Classic in Yorktown, Indiana.

After their ninth place finish last weekend in East Lansing, Michigan, the Bobcats are ready to redeem themselves next week at the Cardinal Classic in Yorktown, Indiana.

The Cardinal Classic is unlike any tournament the Bobcats have participated in so far this year. Both tournaments the Bobcats have played in this year were three rounds long, while the Cardinal Classic consists of only two rounds.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to keep fatigue and tired legs away,” coach Kelly Ovington said.

Ovington cited fatigue as an issue for the team in the past and the Bobcats scores have confirmed her suspicions. The Bobcats have struggled in the second consecutive round of each tournament so far this year.

“Its very easy to lose focus when you get tired,” Ovington said. “We’ve been doing a lot of conditioning.”

In 2014 the Bobcats finished in fourth place out of sixteen teams at the Cardinal Classic, with a team score of 618 (+42). Last year, senior Angela Codian, junior Hailey Hrynewich and sophomore Lily Pendy all finished in the tournament's top 25.

The Bobcats hope to capitalize on the shorter tournament and regain some ground against fellow Mid-American Conference teams. Last weekend, the Bobcats faced five MAC teams but were only able to place higher than Central Michigan, who finished in last place.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2d0cce06-5a5b-11e5-a911-4bf61f9645de"}}

This week Ohio will face five more MAC teams including: Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Bowling Green, Central Michigan and Northern Illinois. The Bobcats have just two more tournaments to prepare for the MAC Fall Preview in Noblesville, Indiana on Oct. 11.

@cwicks21

cw392813@ohio.edu