Women's golfer, Hailey Hrynewich, of Muskegon, MI, poses for a portrait. (FILE)

Womens Golf: Ohio finishes ninth at Mary Fossum Invitational

Women’s golf finished in ninth place out of twelve teams this weekend at the Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Michigan. 

Ohio finished ninth out of 12 teams this weekend at the Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Michigan.

While the Bobcats didn’t place as high as they have in previous tournaments, the younger players continued to improve. 

At the end of the weekend, the Bobcats shot 82 over par for a score of 946.

Junior Hailey Hrynewich carded the fewest shots for the Bobcats with a score of 231. Hrynewich’s score was low enough for her to tie with three other players for 22nd place in the tournament.

Nicole Smiley, a freshman, finished in 37th place with a three-round score of 237 and 1 over par.

Lily Pendy and senior captain Angela Codian both tied for 41st place with a score of 239 and 23 over par.

In both tournaments this year, Pendy and Smiley have had the second and third best scores on the team, behind Hrynewich.

Historically, the Mary Fossum invitational has been tough on the Bobcats. In 2014, the Bobcats finished 13th out of 15 teams. 

Although the Bobcats didn’t get the finish they wanted this weekend, Smiley and Pendy have finished in the top 50 golfers in both tournaments this season.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="244763a4-5591-11e5-823c-87a46b27164a"}}

In fact, in both tournaments this year, Pendy and Smiley have had the second and third lowest scores, behind Hrynewich, for the Bobcats.

Notre Dame won the tournament shooting 23 over par overall for a score of 887. Next weekend Ohio will travel to Yorktown, Indiana for the Cardinal Classic.

Coach Kelly Ovington was reached out to for comment, but was unavailable by press time.

@cwicks21

cw392813@ohio.edu