Women's golfer, Hailey Hrynewich, of Muskegon, MI, poses for a portrait. (FILE)

Women's Golf: Bobcats kick off season at Redbird Invitational

After a strong season in 2014, Ohio’s women's golf team is pushing to have an even better season in 2015.

Ohio will travel to Normal, Illinois this weekend to begin its season at the annual Redbird Invitational. Though the Bobcats finished in fifth place out of fifteen teams in the invite last season, they're still seeking improvement in 2015.

The Redbird Invitational is a three round tournament, played over the course of two days, as coach Kelly Ovington returns for her eighth season with the Bobcats.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="738d1db6-49dc-11e5-998c-477124887d45"}}

In 2014, Ovington coached the Bobcats to a fourth place finish in the Mid-American Conference championship — giving the Bobcats their best finish since 2006.

“We had a great year last year and we’re building on it,” Ovington said. “They can contend to win each time they walk out there.”

The team is led by senior captains Angela Codian and Lauren McKenzie along with junior Hailey Hrynewich. Last season, Codian and Hrynewich had the two lowest scores on the team, shooting 68 and 72, respectively. Hrynewich's score of 218 on March 24 broke the program record for the fewest strokes over a three round period.

After getting a taste of success in 2014, this team is ready to make the leap toward contending for the MAC Championship come April.

“Winning the MAC Championship is our ultimate goal,” Ovington said.

With four juniors and two seniors on the roster, experience will be a deciding factor this year.

“They’re confident right now," Ovington said. "Their biggest strength is their experience.”

The Bobcats have five tournaments this fall, with the MAC Fall Preview marking the end of the first portion of the season. 

“They’re feeling confident about last year," Ovington said. "They know they’re prepared and they know they can contend each time they walk out there.”

@cwicks21

cw392813@ohio.edu