The Weekender Banner

The Weekender: Looking behind the Marching 110, street performers of Athens

The Weekender is your guide to the best things going on in Athens this weekend.

The Marching 110 is a big part of Ohio University's history. The band was founded in 1923 and originally had 110 members, hence its name. The Post reported on the managers of the band this week. Seven members help the 110 get ready for their weekly performances, and are an essential part of keeping the OU tradition running like the well oiled machine it appears to be. Though the band will be away this weekend, you can catch the alumni band at either of the volleyball matches in the Convocation Center.

Post Modern: "Before Dalton Armstrong came to Ohio University, he was a quiet high school student who typically kept to himself and never made much noise. Now, sitting behind an open guitar case, he is the center of attention under the Alumni Gateway on weekend nights — playing guitar for anyone who wants to listen. Armstrong is one of many street performers in Athens, the soundtrack of the bustling Court Street." (LINK)

Waivada: While attending university in Albany, New York, Garrett Namian made a bet that if he ever started a band, he would name it after his friend’s middle name, Waivada. (Link)

Beer and Cheese: Planned Parenthood extends the opportunity to learn more information about its services with a beer and cheese social at Jackie O’s. (Link)

Smoke Rise Ranch Resort: This time last year, Erie, Michigan resident Mike Heronemus was looking for a weekend getaway with his girlfriend. After researching the Hocking Hills area, he found Smoke Rise Ranch Resort, a cattle ranch located 30 minutes away from Athens. (Link)

Bands at Stuart's: In four days, Stuart's Opera House will have three separate concerts, including The Wayfarers, Todd Snider and The Wood Brothers. (Link)

MOVIES: Want to see The Perfect Guy, Grandma or Digging for Fire? Check out The Athena Cinema,  The Athena Grand or Movies 10 (Fun Barn) for showtimes.