Nicole Dailey, left, and Torie McCollum, right, discuss the student senate intern program at the first student senate meeting of the year.

Students benefit from holding multiple positions in OU Student Senate

Multiple positions let students explore interests and get more involved.

While taking full course loads, some Student Senate members also balance multiple positions.

Several members of senate’s body hold more than one position. They can only hold one elected position such as senator, but they can hold many different appointed positions such as a committee member, chair or commissioner, Gabby Bacha, senate’s president said.

Samuel Cope, who serves as the senate appropriations committee auditor and senate auditor, as well as the assistant parliamentarian, said serving multiple positions means a member doesn’t get stuck doing one thing.

“I think, more or less, if you can prove that you can do it and you wanna do it, there's nothing stopping you from going to every committee meeting (or) going to every senate meeting,” Cope, a junior studying political science, said.

Landen Lama, a sophomore studying political science, said roughly eight members hold multiple positions. Lama himself holds two positions, head parliamentarian and co-director of university relations.

“I hold two positions because I expressed interest in both of those and have a great understanding of what both positions entail,” he said.

Other students said they hold multiple positions for similar reasons.

Tyler Daniels has four positions on senate: senator at large, veterans affairs chair, member of the Committee on Leadership Development and member of Budget Committee.

He said he has good time management skills and wanted to serve the positions.

“I've been on student senate before and even when I would be finished with my own work or my own goals I would jump in and help other people with their projects,” Daniels, a senior studying war and peace and political science, said. “Being involved has lead to so many opportunities for me so it's hard for me to pass up when someone offers me another one to take.”

Cope said he doesn't mind the extra work.

“In reality I feel more like I'm just helping out,” he said. “I always wanna do more.”

Holding multiple positions can be time intensive, Daniels said.

“It’s really not for everyone and that's not because others can't handle it, it's because others are so widely spread out,” Daniels said.

Senate members have support from the rest of the body when taking on more positions.

Lama said some people who have multiple positions have a co-director who can help with the workload.

Bacha makes sure the members know what they are getting themselves into.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="3c697e8c-5fc2-11e5-86b9-aba00e1670e1"}}

“We double check with them that they are okay with the time commitment,” Bacha said. “If they’re not okay with that sort of time commitment, then we don't put them to that position.”

She also believes this type of participation is good for senate.

“I think it helps you be engaged in multiple parts of the body and making sure it succeeds, whether it might be a project for off campus but also making sure new members are integrated within the body and understanding of the body,” Bacha, a senior studying political science, said. “I think it's actually really vital to the progress of what we’re doing.”

mp172114@ohio.edu

@M_PECKABLE