LGBT student supporters gathered around Baker University Center on Monday to protest Christian evangelists who were being outspoken about their anti-LGBT beliefs.

Spontaneous protest organizes in response to traveling ministry outside Baker Center

LGBT support surged outside Baker in response to traveling preachers.

It’s not every day that a protest at Ohio University culminates in twerking on a preacher.

Three anti-same-sex-marriage individuals gathered Monday afternoon outside the Baker Center to preach to the OU community.

As a counter to the banner toting individuals, members and supporters of the LGBT community made camp around the preachers, toting rainbow flags and stickers to protest the message.

“We’re here to talk with people who want to. And we have visual aides if people don’t want to talk,” Nathan Troyer, a traveling non-denominational Christian, said.

Troyer gestured to a sign labeled: SEX ED 101, which detailed same-sex couples as “sodomy” and “lesbianism.” Only a union between a man and a woman was called “marriage” on the poster.

Sasha Gough, a sophomore studying creative writing, showed up to protest the anti-LGBT message.

“I want to be a voice of love. The voice of love is more important than the voice of hate,” Gough said.

Tommy Steenrod, an Athens resident, also showed up to the spontaneous protest.

“I want to show that love is love, for everybody,” Steenrod said.

Aspen Wilson, a sophomore studying field ecology and an executive member of Open Doors — a student union representing LGBTIQQAA students — said the response was organized about 15 minutes after the preaching began.

“We’re here to support all OU students, LGBT or not,” Wilson said.

@kaitfoch

kf992915@ohio.edu