Brenna Innocenzi performs at the Front Room open mic night.

Open mic nights welcome all students to perform in Front Room, regardless of major

Students showcase their talents through instrumental performances and song writing at Open Mic Night.

As the class load ramps up, students often seek musical thrill as a way to tune down their nerves.

Open Stage in Front Room every Wednesday and Friday allow this by giving anyone the opportunity to perform on stage and sing covers or original songs with or without instruments.

An audience of about 50 people had a positive reception on Sept. 11 to a wide variety of performances from genres such as pop, rock and R&B.

To the start the three-hour event, the first person to perform was the host of the open mic nights, Bruce Dalzell, a local musician, songwriter and producer.

Even though many performers take part on stage at Open Mic Nights, only a few students are involved with performing off the stage.

Dalzell said only about five percent of students who perform at the event are enrolled in a music-related major.

“I really enjoy writing songs,” Brenna Innocenzi, a junior studying exercise physiology, said.  

In addition to viewing music as a hobby, Innocenzi said she appreciates the social interaction and constructive criticism that comes from Open Stage.

“The performances are a fun way to see what others think about my songs, through telling me their favorites and giving feedback on how to improve,” she said.

Similarly, students who are in the School of Music and music related majors use these evenings to gain confidence in sharing their craft.

“I use Open Mic Night to just have fun and get comfortable playing in front of people,” Chris Dowell, a senior studying music production, said.  

With a decent-sized crowd, Dowell said he can sense which songs may be stronger based on the audience’s reaction.

“I definitely pay attention to what songs people seem to enjoy the most,” he said.

Dalzell said he acknowledges the number of participants in Open Mic Night has fluctuated throughout the years.

“Right now it’s kind of down,” Dalzell said. He said the low numbers are due to past supporters graduating.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="ddbd9688-5cb1-11e5-81cf-6780a3ff6c88"}}

“For four years, the class of 2015 came in and supported us and it was crazy fun and always packed,” Dalzell said. “They’re gone and things have slowed down immensely.”

Dalzell said he often reaches out to the Campus Involvement Center to increase awareness for the open mic nights, since the center is responsible for arts and entertainment events.

“I encourage them to publicize as much as they can,”  he said, adding that he hopes this collaboration will appeal to a younger crowd of freshmen to boost attendance. "If more people know about Open Stage, more performers sing, widening the audience."

Open Mic Night takes place every Wednesday and Friday at 8 p.m. at Front Room in Baker Center.

@jcooke1996

jc390413@ohio.edu