Op-Ed: Ohio University officials discuss changes made to Survivor Advocacy Program

The campus resource will see alterations made in structure, staffing and funding, among others.

Last academic year, we promised to provide updates about our commitment to supporting survivors of sexual assault and rape and addressing the issue of sexual misconduct. Of particular concern to our community was the university’s support for the Survivor Advocacy Program, which has been funded continuously since its creation three years ago through a federal grant which will expire in October 2015.

We are pleased to announce SAP will have base funding at the levels requested by former Women’s Center Director Susanne Dietzel beginning in October. In addition to this funding, we have provided additional support for this program and several other initiatives and programs to support survivors of sexual assault and rape and address sexual misconduct. More specifically:

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2a35b6ce-4f58-11e5-b4a9-af57f0d2be18"}}

We adjusted our reporting structure for SAP in a small but significant way. Delaney Anderson, Program Coordinator of SAP, now reports directly to the Vice Provost’s office. While women are disproportionally affected, we know that people of all gender identities and expression are the target of sexual assault and rape.  Based on feedback from the campus community, we believe SAP is better served by working with the Women’s Center in a peer relationship rather than as a supervisory one. 

In addition to the base funding for paid staff salaries and office expenses, SAP has a new home in Lindley Hall as of August. We appreciate the hard work of Lynette Clouse and her team in University Design and Construction for their work in providing a more appropriate, centrally located and comfortable space to support survivors and our advocates. The move was a culmination of more than 18 months work between the Provost’s office, the Diversity and Inclusion office and Shawna Bolin, the University Planner, who sought the right space to meet SAP’s needs.   

An additional $19,800 was allocated from the Diversity and Inclusion budget to fund the online program “Not Anymore,” an educational program for incoming freshman that is intended to prevent sexual assault and rape. 

Under the direction of Title IX Coordinator Inya Baiye, the Office of Equity and Civil Rights Compliance, moved into the office suite next to SAP in July. This office intakes reports and complaints of sexual misconduct for all Ohio University campuses, locations and programs, and co-investigates allegations involving students with the Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility. 

For fiscal year 2016, the Provost’s office is funding two new Investigator positions in the office of ECRC. 

What we have shared is but one part of the numerous initiatives that are underway within our university community to support survivors and address sexual misconduct. We recognize and appreciate our many colleagues across our campuses who are key partners working with tireless and unwavering passion on this very important issue.

Pam Benoit is the executive vice president and provost and Shari Clarke is the vice provost to the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.