Evan Smith, a library assistant, shelf-reads in the stacks of Alden Library. From its egg chairs to the stacks, Alden is a popular spot among the Culture staff.

Ohio University to give students a break from class on Reading Day

While no classes or labs will be held on Friday, campus offices and support services will remain open.

After enduring six weeks of college stress, Bobcats will have a day to take a breather from their studies.

As part of Ohio University's Reading Day, no classes or labs will be held on Friday. However, campus offices and support services will remain open.

This includes Alden Library, Campus Care and various Culinary Services locations, Laura Myers, chief of staff for the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost, said in an email.

“Ohio University Reading Day supports students’ academic endeavors by providing them the opportunity to prepare for the exams, projects and assessments that often take place during the middle of the semester,” Myers said in an email.

Friday is the second Reading Day at OU since the first one was held in 2014. The reason behind the day was to give students the opportunity for a mental break from classes and a chance to relax and re-energize, according to a previous Post report.

Elizabeth Tran, a doctoral candidate in English, said she’s going to spend the day catching up on her work.

“I’m a graduate student and instructor here, so I’m going to work,” Tran said. “It’s a catch-up day.”

Tran said she knows some graduate students will also be going to places such as Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery on Friday.

“I’m very happy about Reading Day,” she said. “It’s nice to have a break.”

Andrew Gleason, a senior studying psychology, is a student worker at Nelson Market. He would otherwise have to work on Reading Day but said he has the day off this week.

“I guess it’s just luck of the draw,” Gleason said. “If I had to, I would still go to work.”

He said he’s looking forward to having more free time on Friday.

“It’s a day off for free,” Gleason said. “I don’t have to do anything. I get to sleep in for once.”

He said he plans on spending the day playing video games and board games at a friend’s house.

Future reading day dates will be incorporated into the academic calendar each year, according to a university news release.

–Bailey Gallion contributed to this report.

@AlxMeyer

am095013@ohio.edu