The house at 31 Coventry Lane sits on 2.86 acres and occupies 4,586 square feet, including a finished basement. 

Ohio University past deadline on Inspector General's request

Ohio University has not yet turned over records to the Ohio Inspector General's Office regarding President McDavis' move to Coventry Lane.

Though the Ohio Inspector General's Office required Ohio University to turn over records concerning President Roderick McDavis’ move to Coventry Lane by Sept. 4, the university has yet to comply, according to an OU spokesperson.  

OU spokeswoman Bethany Venable confirmed the university's inaction in an email to The Post, adding that she was not sure why the records had not yet been sent to the inspector general.  

Aug. 3, Ohio Deputy Inspector General Rebekeh L. Wolcott sent a letter to OU’s Office of Legal Affairs, requesting various university records related to McDavis’ move from 29 Park Place to 31 Coventry Lane and the university’s relations with Athens realtor John Wharton.

This is the second time the inspector general has requested records from OU surrounding the president’s move, as they also sent a letter to OU April 27.

March 19, the Ohio University Foundation entered into a $1.2 million lease-purchase agreement for a new presidential home at 31 Coventry Lane.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1f0ccadc-50d7-11e5-8e68-f70d8a405def"}}

The owner of the property, Wharton, verbally agreed with Director of Athletics Jim Schaus that — as part of the lease-purchase agreement — he would pay the rest of the money he pledged to the Walter Fieldhouse and donate an additional $100,000.

April 13, Vice President for Finance and Administration Stephen Golding said he wouldn’t ask OU’s Board of Trustees or the OU Foundation to buy the property because Wharton’s agreement created a “problematic” situation for the university.

The information about Wharton was not told to those assigned with finding a new home for McDavis before they signed the lease-to-buy contract, Golding said.

The inspector general requested more records this time around, including the following since Jan. 1, 2014:

• Copies of all meeting agendas and minutes for McDavis’ Executive Staff, the Office of the Vice President for Finance and Administration and Office of Real Estate Management that references presidential housing, 29 Park Place, 31 Coventry Lane and John Wharton and his associated companies; copies of all meeting agendas and minutes for the Ohio University Foundation Board of Trustees and Executive Committee.

• Copies of all policies, procedures and directives related to OU’s donation and pledge process, real estate acquisition and lease processes.

• A list of all real-estate purchases and lease agreements entered into by OU and the OU Foundation with companies owned by Wharton.

Additionally the office requested the following records since Jan. 1:

• Copies of all emails, memos and correspondence for Schaus, Division of University Advancement Bryan Benchoff and Senior Associate Athletic Director and Senior Director for Development Ryan White regarding presidential housing and Wharton.

• Copies of all agreements entered into by OU with the OU Foundation involving 29 Park Place and 31 Coventry Lane; copies of all agreements entered into by the Board of Trustees and McDavis related to housing.

• Information related to the university’s decision to relocate McDavis and search for a new presidential residence.

McDavis and his wife Deborah continue to reside at 31 Coventry Lane.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu