Ohio's Keith Heitzman is taken down close to the endzone in a game against Southeastern Louisiana on Sept. 19.

MAC Notebook: Week 4 proves to be a week to forget for the Mid-American Conference

The MAC had a week it would like to forget. 

In the last week of non-conference play, the Mid-American Conference had an overall disappointing week as 10 of the 13 programs lost. 

The 3-10 record posted by the MAC this weekend is the worst by the conference this season.  As conference play kicks off this coming weekend, programs around the MAC look to ready themselves to contend for a conference title.

Falcons soar over Purdue

Bowling Green traveled to West Lafayette to take on Purdue, where the Falcons picked up the win, 35-28.

The difference in the game was a 12-yard touchdown run from Travis Greene with nine seconds left in the fourth quarter.

This marks Bowling Green’s second win against the Big Ten this season — Sept. 12 versus Maryland — marking only the third time in history a MAC team has beaten two Big Ten schools in a season.

“I’m really excited, really proud of these young men for the opportunity to beat two Big Ten teams this year — making history,” Bowling Green coach Dino Babers said. “It’s a memory these guys will have with them for the rest of their lives.”

State over Central

Despite being within a touchdown of Michigan State late in the fourth quarter, Central Michigan fell to No. 2 Michigan State, 30-10.

The Chippewas outgained the Spartans by 16 yards -- Central tallied 340 all-purpose yards against one of the toughest defenses in the country.

“I thought we had our chances into the third and fourth quarters,” said Central Michigan coach John Bonamego.  “We just made too many mistakes against a great football team.”

Staunch defense downs Huskies

Northern Illinois faced a Boston College team that entered the contest as the nation’s top-ranked defense on •Saturday. NIU lost, 17-14.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="554f7b6c-6590-11e5-ac84-936af7ba8cb7"}}

The Eagles played up to their ranking, holding Drew Hare and the high-powered Huskies offense to only 153 total yards.

“We had plenty of opportunities to win the football game, and we didn't for the second week in a row,” said Northern Illinois coach Rod Carey.  “It’s hard learning those lessons two weeks in a row -- if you don't learn ‘em, you'll be in trouble… we’re moving forward.”

NIU lost to No. 1 Ohio State last week.

No. 26 Toledo?

Following Toledo’s 37-7 win over Arkansas State, the Rockets gained 68 points in the AP poll.  This puts Toledo one spot outside of the Top 25 -- a proverbial “No. 26” in the nation.

@HahnJeremyR

jh704614@ohio.edu