Sophie Kruse

Gamer Girl: Video game slumps happen to the best of us gamers

If you’re an avid gamer and find yourself without the time to play, don’t worry, gaming ruts are more common than you think.

Lately, I’ve been in a gaming slump. If you’ve been reading regularly, you might have noticed I’ve been writing much more about the tech happenings than gaming news and reviews.

Hitting a slump in college can be particularly hard, specifically because of time and money. When I do have the time, I struggle to start a new campaign-based game because I know how much time these tend to take. So, I usually find myself playing the same games over and over or playing them online. I also find it hard to justify dropping the cash on a new game while in college. I think everyone can probably understand me on that one.

And when you write a weekly column about video games, it can be even harder.

In an article on Kotaku about gaming slumps, they suggest a few things: play better games, play different games, use your friends, use your backlog, watch other people play and take a break.

I think these are actually pretty good suggestions. Try a game with a different art style or storyline than you’re used to, play games online with your friends to make it a social event or play through games you might have played (and loved) in the past.

I feel like most avid gamers have a specific title they’ll return to when they’re feeling this way. Mine is Grand Theft Auto V. Frequently, I’ll log on just to play around online in the massive world. This is works out especially well now because of the added heists and missions to the online play.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2024578e-616f-11e5-a092-77b61b7b5604"}}

I also find watching others play games to be another helper. Whether it’s on YouTube “Let’s Play” videos or live-streamed from Twitch, you can definitely find some people online who would be more than willing to get you your fix. If not, hang out with a friend who might be working through a game and watch them do it. I swear, every time I see someone playing one of my favorite games I feel the need to check it out again myself.

Here are my own suggestions for slumps. Don’t push it. If you aren’t in the mood to devote your time to a new game, don’t. Start a new Netflix show or pick up a new book. If you really don’t want to buy new games full price, find a buddy to go halfsies with and split it, or borrow it from a friend. I’m pretty lucky my roommate frequently purchases new titles. Pick up a game from your backlog you haven’t played yet, or buy a cheap title online to get back into the groove of it.

Trust me: it seems that gaming slumps happen to the best of us. Don’t worry if you’re in one.

Sophie Kruse is a senior studying journalism and minoring in business and marketing. Have you ever been in a gaming slump? Email her at sk139011@ohio.edu or tweet her @kruseco.