(Provided by Ohio University)

Ohio University's Board of Trustees has a new secretary

The university chose David Moore, a faculty member in the Patton College of Education, as the Board of Trustees secretary.

Ohio University’s newest Board of Trustees member was “thrilled” upon hearing that he was selected as the board’s secretary.

OU President Roderick McDavis announced July 29 that a search committee picked David Moore, a professor in the Patton College of Education, to replace Peter Mather as secretary to the Board of Trustees.

The secretary’s role is to serve as the liaison between the board, the president and his executive team and the OU community. Moore – who had not previously served on the board – will be starting his 13th year at OU this fall.

“As a faculty member, my professional focus is on my field and, mostly, on my college,” Moore said in an email. “However, in this role, I have an opportunity to see the larger matrix of decisions that affect the institution. Professors are, first and foremost, learners and I have always tried to place myself in positions where I can learn. I cannot think of another position that would allow me to learn to the degree the secretary position does.”

Moore said he hopes his experience in higher education will help him as secretary.

“As a teacher, I think I have the disposition to be useful in this role. The secretary is a facilitator whose job is to ease the process doing the board’s business and not to impose oneself upon it. In my view, this is what my role as a teacher has been; I am very comfortable with the demeanor required to fulfill that mission,” Moore said.

Previously, Moore worked at Portland State University and served as its director for Distributed Education.

“He brings a deep understanding of higher education, university administration, organizational communication and leadership,” McDavis said of Moore in a news release. “In addition, his eight years of esteemed service in the United States Naval Reserve will be an organizational asset in his position as secretary to the board.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="bebf492e-3bd3-11e5-aeeb-43e5c42780d0"}}

Moore will continue working as a part-time faculty member in the Patton College of Education.

“I think it is important to keep that connection; I love teaching and working with students,” Moore said. “This is an exciting time for the Patton College and I want to be involved with the new and enhanced opportunities we are providing for students.”

The next Board of Trustees meeting is Aug. 27 and 28 at OU’s Dublin Campus.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu